USB problems.

Associate
Hiya,

For the last couple of months I've had an issue with my mouse and keyboard. Every couple of minutes my keyboard will either stop working entirely, all the lights go off on it or which ever key I am holding, for example W, will stick on and I can't stop it until the keyboard comes back to life. I do not have to unplug and replug it for it to work again, it starts working on it's own.
My mouse also cuts out, however the lights stay on for it and the cursor will catch up to where it should be. It doesn't lag and slowly move across to the correct place, it just skips to the new place.
I've also noticed that when using my webcam, the picture will flicker and the audio will sometimes cut out, which is what makes me think this is a USB issue as it's affecting everything plugged in via USB except my external hard drive.
Sometimes the keyboard or mouse will work fine for a period of time, I've only had one issue so far while typing all of this just to give an example. I've tried doing very little on my PC such as only having notepad open to test the keyboard and that compared to what I normally use the PC for which is gaming, doesn't make a difference to how frequently the keyboard/mouse cut out. The duration that they stop functioning for is anywhere from 5's to 30's.

I'm using Windows 10
My mouse is a - Corsair M65
My keyboard is a - Perixx PX-5000
My PSU is a - Corsair 600w.

I have tried the following to fix this;

Checked for loose cables.
Tried all different USB ports.
Reinstalled windows.
Tried a different mouse/keyboard.
Changed power settings in case it was a power issue.
Updated and reinstalled drivers.
Changed where the PC is plugged into.
Removed ram in case there was a clash as they're different models.
Tried cleaning the USB ports.
General windows updates.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have!

Laura.

Man of Honour
Yes, I've 8 USB's in total, 6 on the back and 2 on the front, they all act the same and they're all USB 3.0.

What motherboard do you have? Normally a good bet would be to change settings in the bios to force legacy usb 2 for the onboard USB. It sounds to me like it could be usb3 driver related.

Have you checked what is falling over in the logs?

go into control panel, top left set small icons, select administrative tools, double click event viewer, on the left expand windows logs. click on system logs and wait for them to load. Now right click on system logs and select filter current log. put ticks in critical, error and warning in the selection boxes and hit ok.

Find the USB failure.. report back.

Associate
OP
What motherboard do you have? Normally a good bet would be to change settings in the bios to force legacy usb 2 for the onboard USB. It sounds to me like it could be usb3 driver related.

Have you checked what is falling over in the logs?

go into control panel, top left set small icons, select administrative tools, double click event viewer, on the left expand windows logs. click on system logs and wait for them to load. Now right click on system logs and select filter current log. put ticks in critical, error and warning in the selection boxes and hit ok.

Find the USB failure.. report back.

I've done what you asked, there wasn't any USB failure flagged up within the system logs you had me check.
I also went to changed the settings in my bios but there isn't an option to do what you've said.
My motherboard is Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.

Man of Honour
Out of interest have you got any of the gigabyte utilities installed? Also searching around it seems to be quite a common problem with that board, ive found tons of people with the same issues going all the way back to 2014. Some uninstall any gigabyte applications they have installed others recommend installing the driver on gigabytes website that fixes usb issues on s3 resume labaled windows8 usb patch below, there seems to be some windows 8 kb's and a driver available at the link. ignore the kb's but that driver might do the trick:

Associate
OP
Out of interest have you got any of the gigabyte utilities installed? Also searching around it seems to be quite a common problem with that board, ive found tons of people with the same issues going all the way back to 2014. Some uninstall any gigabyte applications they have installed others recommend installing the driver on gigabytes website that fixes usb issues on s3 resume labaled windows8 usb patch below, there seems to be some windows 8 kb's and a driver available at the link. ignore the kb's but that driver might do the trick:

Unfortunately, none of those will work with my PC as I'm running Windows 10. So they won't be compatible. Great idea though and I'm a bit embarrassed that isn't something I considered myself sooner!

Back
Top Bottom