USB Turntable...?

Associate
Don't know if this is a new thing or not... but since I've recently been thinking about buying a cheapo turntable to transfer all my vinyl to mp3, this could be the answer! £120 sounds reasonable...

USB Turntable

...and so they don't feel left out, this one's for all the audiophiles out there with $15,000 to spend!

Laser Turntable

Last edited:
Soldato
That USB turntable looks ideal for people wanting to put vinyl on to mp3. I'm not sure how good the quality would be, but it can't be that bad. I think the ease of use compared to plugging in a turntable via the line in would be worth it.

Soldato
I can't see that much of a difference between the way you would record off this via usb or line in, with the exception that there probably wouldn't need to be much volume fiddling with usb... And you can already get software that detects gaps between songs so automatically mark tracks... seems a bit 'gimmicky' to me... /cynic

Last edited:
Suspended
Charlie Bravo said:
With a standard deck/line in, do you require a preamp?

If your soundcard has line in and not a phono stage then yes you will require a external phono stage (for a normal turntable) but I guess that USB TT sends audio via the USB port?

I have to wonder how the TT is powered though, by the USB power or from a external adaptor? Capable of driving motor ok? oh the laser turntable was a gimmick and sound quality was dire.

Last edited:
Soldato
The turntable will no way be USB powered.

I've found that gap recognition software was pretty rubbish when digitising some of my MD collection. I think the software might be decent, and it sounds like a very simple way of doing things. I suppose you wouldn't have to use a phono preamp either.

Man of Honour
Seems like a gimmick to me.
I've converted well over 500 albums plugging my normal record deck into my Audigy soundcard and before that AWE32's, Live's etc.
If the volume is down then you just put it through a normaliser.
The gap detector software is rubbish depending on what music you're doing.
You could end up with 30 tracks when theres only 5 tracks because of silent parts of songs.

I still use Soundforge 4.5 and manually cut up the 20/25 minute wav file I've recorded.
I then run the tracks through a vinyl restoration plugin but sometimes I have to manually take spikes out.

Gilbern74 said:
...and so they don't feel left out, this one's for all the audiophiles out there with $15,000 to spend!

Laser Turntable

Where do you put the 2p?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom