• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

UserBenchmark Bias

Soldato
That's not what they said, they said the latency in the 3300X is a problem for gaming, it isn't...
Ya, they are chatting crap. They basically seized on the AMD architecture design where the RAM to CCX latency is higher than Intels and exaggerated its significance. The margins are so small you can argue it might be the difference in motherboard, RAM or any other components. Anyway, long as we can see the BS that should be enough of that.

those statements really make them look stupid. Honestly, the only people pay any attention to their website are the people want to build themselves a PC or spec an OEM build. But anyone falls into that category will have foreknowledge of what’s going on in the computing world right now in terms of performance and value.

So I think they fooling themselves and no one else. Also another cynical way of looking at it is that they need to be controversial to stay relevant.

Associate
Unfortunately non tech savvy people could be drawn in by it.

This is the real issue, inexperienced folk wanting to build a PC or find which components they'd want in their pre-built systems might be using this nonsense as a buying guide and overlooking what could be better options for them. Even one Intel over another.

Soldato
This is the real issue, inexperienced folk wanting to build a PC or find which components they'd want in their pre-built systems might be using this nonsense as a buying guide and overlooking what could be better options for them. Even one Intel over another.

And that's the thing, I know 3 or 4 guys that are avid gamers but zero Ideo on PC parts and have even brought up the website to show me stats to why they were looking at or have purchased said CPU.

Associate
This thread has been eye-opening, I did not know these things. I have to admit, my choice of parts on a number of work computers over the last few years has been influenced by userbenchmark scores.

The thing is though, my primary performance requirement is for Adobe Illustrator, which is just horibly poorly optimised - it only ever uses one core at a time. And, no matter how large the file, nor how intensive the workload, it will grind to a halt at 100% usage of a single core before using much more than 3GB RAM (leaving loads free). So I've always prioritised the fastest single core performance I can find, and fast storage. I've always asumed this meant an Intel CPU.

I totally see that for pretty much everything else I'd want AMD - but for Illustrator? Are there reasons that should persuade me to jump ship for that too? In the real world - working from home - my workflow now also depends on having MS Teams, Onedrive, Outlook, Word and a browser open as well...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom