Using 27" iMac screen as a monitor for a PC

Associate
OP
Just had a quick look and the only problem with that might be the resolution 1280x720

will have a better look when I get to work. Cheers for that

Associate
Just for some clarity, this might help.

From my research I have understood that the "video in" functionality of the 27" iMac is different to the "video out" in a key way.

The video out is capable of sending a signal compatible with analogue (vga), and both kinds of digital (dvi/hdmi and also display port). The display port standard sends the video out in a different format to dvi and hdmi (which both output the same digital video signal).

The video in on the iMac 27" is only compatible with the displayport standard of digial video signal - so passive adapters (as sold by apple) do no work when trying to input a vga/dvi/hdmi signal. If you want to do this you need an active signal converter (with a box to do the processing). Notwithstanding this should mean the mini displayport > displayport adapter should work, as it is assumed they carry the same signal.

Associate
OP
The video in on the iMac 27" is only compatible with the displayport standard of digial video signal - so passive adapters (as sold by apple) do no work when trying to input a vga/dvi/hdmi signal. If you want to do this you need an active signal converter (with a box to do the processing). Notwithstanding this should mean the mini displayport > displayport adapter should work, as it is assumed they carry the same signal.

On the apple web site it does say that "On the 27-inch iMac, the same port offers input, too. So you can connect any external source that has DisplayPort output"

But this is not the came. Unsure if this is an apple problem or a ATI problem but for the ATI 5570 which has a Display Port on the back of the card, it does not work with the 27" iMac. All I get on the imac display is a black screen. On the PC I hear the 2 tone noise that lets you know that windows has detected new hardware and thats all I get..

Soldato
Hi johnrs, im not sure if its been mentioned but there is a known problem with the 5xxx series display port adaptors with imac 27" screens.....its a driver issue, what happens is the pc doesnt pick up the new hardware fast enough before the imac screen either reverts back to osx or doesnt display anything, its apparently being worked on with either a driver update due or a bios flash, its all over the web, google it for more in depth info.

Hope thats some help.

Associate
OP
Hi johnrs, im not sure if its been mentioned but there is a known problem with the 5xxx series display port adaptors with imac 27" screens.....its a driver issue, what happens is the pc doesnt pick up the new hardware fast enough before the imac screen either reverts back to osx or doesnt display anything, its apparently being worked on with either a driver update due or a bios flash, its all over the web, google it for more in depth info.

Hope thats some help.

Brilliant. Thats really nice to know. Many thanks for posting that info. I did read about the 4890 working OK but for the 5 series I could only really find stuff that was a few months old so I was just hoping really.

I assume when you say its being worked on, that this is an apple issue?

Many thanks again for posting that.. :)

EDIT: Just tried google'ing this problem and struggling to see any info about it being looked into.. do you have some links?

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom