Using Chocolatey for software

Associate
So someone at work uses Chocolatey for quite a few development things like VS Code, dotnet etc. and wondered if anyone here uses it for general software? There's all sorts that's available - Steam, Discord, Visual Studio, GIMP...

It's appealing but at the same time, I'm a little curious on how beneficial it really is - and how using it would handle software updates etc?

Soldato
Yep, everything on my system bar Office is chocolatey. I'm not sure why you'd want to use anything else. Remember it is community lead packaging (vs windows packager) but there's way more stuff.

I currently have:
7-Zip
Azure CLI
Azure Storage Explorer
Chrome
Terraform
VSCode
Paint.net
VLC
MPC-BE
Spotify
Rufus
Windows Terminal

a few more I can't think of right now. All I do to update all of those in less than 60 seconds is type:
Code:
 cup all
from a command prompt

Additionally, as all my important stuff is in OneDrive, I have an unattended Win10Pro USB which installs Win10Pro, installs all the drivers, installs chocolately and all the apps, installs Office and configures the Windows security baseline policies, and the only thing I have to press is F12 to boot from USB. 30 minutes later I'm ready to login and use my PC.

Back
Top Bottom