Using DSL-AC68U (router only) with ECI Modem

Associate
After running into problems with my new DSL-AC68U that seemed fairly common for most people such as net drop outs (mostly early morning), CRC errors and getting path mode changed to interleaved. I took some advice after being told the built in modem is mostly trash, and to try the router with my ECI modem that I was originally using with my BT HH4. I am on bt infinity 2.

I believe to have tried everything and not had any luck getting DSL or internet lights working using:

Dual wan > Primary WAN - Ethernet WAN using port 4 (tried port 3 aswell just incase)

and under internet connection tab trying PPPoE which I believe is the right set up, but also tried auto IP just to rule things out.

Using the usual [email protected] with BT password, 802.1Q enabled, Vlan 101.

Cable set up: Master socket > adsl cable > ECI modem > ethernet cable > asus router lan port 4 (set in the UI) > then port 1 to my PC

ECI modem lights has green for Power, DSL, and Lan 1

Asus router had lights on Lan 4 (set for ethernet wan) lan1 (my pc) and then just the wifi and power lights

Reading other peoples posts using same set up this looked like all I needed to do, but I have had no luck. I am hoping its something really stupid I have missed. I have ruled out dodgy adsl cable going from master socket to ECI Modem using the cable I originally used when I had the HH4, and a couple of spares. I also tried a couple of ethernet cables with no luck.

Any help. Starting to go crackers after the amount of time I have spent trying to get it working today.
I am currently back using the built in modem which is fine other than the usual issues people talk about with the dsl-ac68u.

Last edited:
Soldato
Router + BT modem you should just need to select PPPoE and set the username and password if the ISP requires it.

The other settings such as the VLAN are handled by the modem and don't need to be worried about.

Associate
OP
Router + BT modem you should just need to select PPPoE and set the username and password if the ISP requires it.

The other settings such as the VLAN are handled by the modem and don't need to be worried about.

Would filling out things such as VLAN cause DSL not to connect? I wasnt even able to use the Quick setup as it couldnt see dsl when detecting my set up

Soldato
I don't know, but they certainly aren't necessary.

If you want to test the modem you can connect it directly to a PC and configure Windows to create a dial up PPPoE connection.

Associate
OP
Ok I will give that a try tomorrow to see if anything is wrong with modem. I was only using it with my HH4 just over a week ago though which would be odd. Thanks

Soldato
If you still have the HH4 put everything back as it was and make sure it all works.

If it does replace the HH4 with the Asus and you'll know that everything else is okay.

Reset the Asus to default and create a basic PPPoE connection from scratch.

Associate
OP
If you still have the HH4 put everything back as it was and make sure it all works.

If it does replace the HH4 with the Asus and you'll know that everything else is okay.

Reset the Asus to default and create a basic PPPoE connection from scratch.

You were right about the VLAN stuff. Tried everything again this morning and did asus factory reset just for the sake of it. Kept 802.1Q section disabled and didnt set any VLAN. All up and running, just got to hopefully see if DLM gets removed and my speeds go back up. Thats assuming the asus built in modem causing CRC errors caused the interleaved on my line.

Thanks for the help! :D

Soldato
Ignoring the obscenely long thread on this forum discussing the issue, now you’re aware of the problems and as you say it’s ‘new’, then return it to the supplier and get something that’s actually fit for purpose.

Back
Top Bottom