uTorrent freezes Windows 7

Soldato
I just did a fresh install of the retail Win 7 Home Premium x64. Previously I had the RC. Everything worked fine on that. But now when I leave uTorrent running, after a few minutes the PC will completely freeze. Mouse pointer doesn't move or anything. I have to do a hard reset. So I'm guessing this is some kind of driver problem? Been a while since I've tried to fix any problems of this nature so can anyone give me any tips on tracking down what's causing it?

Associate
The freeze problem appears to be usually down to drivers, I solved my problem by updating my motherboard bios (which I hated doing due to the risk!) which seemed to update the hard drive controllers. Another common fix appears to be setting the windows power settings from balanced to full.

A forum which has been very helpful for me is:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
OP
I can try a bios update, but I'm not 100% sure of what exact model my motherboard is. It's an Asus P5K, but I'm not exactly sure which type it is. All it says on the board is P5K.

Soldato
OP
I just tried a different torrent client (Vuze) and it still did it. I was guessing that it wasn't directly related to the actual program since applications really shouldn't be able to crash the system like that. That's why I figured it was a driver problem.

Looks like it might be to do with the hard disk. I was downloading onto the hard disk I normally use for this stuff (not my windows hard disk), but now I'm trying it on the C drive and it's going fine so far.

Soldato
Check the error log in admin tools

I had a freeze issue last week, although not with utorrent, The log was full of errors from the nvidia sata driver saying the hardrive was being reset, an update to the new nforce drivers solved my problem

Back
Top Bottom