Valentine's Day for beginners

Permabanned
VIRII said:
Never hurts to show someone that you appreciate them.
Absolutely but why have a special day, during which shops/restaurants charge extra, to do something that you should both make an effort to do for your SO lots of times throughout the year?

Suspended
I just booked reservations for two at a sickeningly expensive restaurant (two Micheline stars!). We decided not to do anything Valentiney this year, but I thought it might be a fun surprise. It's for the 15th though, because I'm still a poor student and I didn't fancy paying double prices for the special privilege of doing it on the 14th.

I'd say go for simple and understated - better yet though, actually chat to your girl and find out how much she cares! If she's anything like my girlfriend you could get away with a hassle-free Feb 14th.

Permabanned
Sleepy said:
Absolutely but why have a special day, during which shops/restaurants charge extra, to do something that you should both make an effort to do for your SO lots of times throughout the year?

I guess because people don't make that special effort often enough ?
Participation is of course optional.

Soldato
Sleepy said:
Absolutely but why have a special day

Why not have a special day? The most thoughtful gifts are cheap anyway! :p

Besides, it gives those who don't do show some appreciation often enough a kick of the backside and show they care! :)

Associate
OP
Arcade Fire said:
It's for the 15th though, because I'm still a poor student and I didn't fancy paying double prices for the special privilege of doing it on the 14th.

Yeah, I win on that point too. The old girl's on a school trip to Berlin for the week of Valentine's Day so we do it when she gets back. The downside is she'll probably be having ruthlessly efficient German sex on the 14th.

Associate
OP
Kell_ee001 said:
Why not have a special day? The most thoughtful gifts are cheap anyway! :p

Besides, it gives those who don't do show some appreciation often enough a kick of the backside and show they care! :)

Ooh, a girl!

So if a girl says in a throwaway manner, while passing an expensive chocolate shop "They look lovely" (or something similar, I wasn't really paying attention) does that mean she would like them?

Soldato
qwerty said:
Ooh, a girl!

So if a girl says in a throwaway manner, while passing an expensive chocolate shop "They look lovely" (or something similar, I wasn't really paying attention) does that mean she would like them?

Yes :D And make a card to go with them :p

Although if you have a thoughtful card, she'd be fine without the chocolates ;)

Associate
OP
Kell_ee001 said:
Yes :D

And make a card to go with them :p

You mean make a card thats meant to look like a heart but ends up looking like my left testicle because my co-ordination is that of a four year old on caffeine? I think I'll just fork out the £3.99 for a card from WHSmith ;)

Thanks for the girl help though :)

Soldato
qwerty said:
Is this true? That's a potential area to screw up...
Supposably it is, but I wouldn't say it's a definite thing you NEED to do.

I would probably sign with "J-." rather than my full name or something if I was sending it to her house or similar just so she would know it's me. Then again, if there's no chance she would get something from someone else then I guess you wouldn't need to sign it. If you're giving it to her in person then obviously there is no need to sign it though :p .

Soldato
I spose the right card, with the right saying, signed by anonymous, they will know its from you :)

Also in the same boat as the OP, first valentines with a girl. I've just asked her over for the day. Ahem. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Im sending a card with this poem wrote on it to my ex to see if I cant stair up any feelings. (Not my poem but think it hits the right spot)

You whom i love
Forever and ever
You are the deadly rose
In my life
The rose
Sweetly smelling
The rose
A sight of pure beauty
You are the rose
So deceiving to my eyes
With petals
Like silk
With thorns
Like nails
I tired to embrace you
But you only pierced my heart
You made me bleed
Because i loved you
No matter how much i bleed
I will always love you.

Associate
OP
area51_for_psx said:
Im sending a card with this poem wrote on it to my ex to see if I cant stair up any feelings. (Not my poem but think it hits the right spot)

You whom i love
Forever and ever
You are the deadly rose
In my life
The rose
Sweetly smelling
The rose
A sight of pure beauty
You are the rose
So deceiving to my eyes
With petals
Like silk
With thorns
Like nails
I tired to embrace you
But you only pierced my heart
You made me bleed
Because i loved you
No matter how much i bleed
I will always love you.

My gf's been getting things like this from her ex and she says it just makes her cry...in a bad way. :(

Back
Top Bottom