1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valheim

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by TriedandTested, 6 Feb 2021.

1. Egg80

Associate

I'm about to boot it up if you wanna team up?

2. delta0

Sgarrista

If a friend sets up a server and we want to jump in and out of the server, sometimes together or sometimes separately, do we need a dedicated server?

3. jasoncb

Hitman

Yes, only your character saves on your PC.

4. TriedandTested

Capodecina

5. Kainz

Capodecina

Spent 2.5hrs in it before requesting a refund. For an EA game I expected a little bit more and my friends and I had MP issues throughout. If we can't see each other ingame half the time, let alone remain connected then I saw no point in continiuing - for now. I just dont get how folks are running servers when we can't even manage a 3P session properly. I didn't like the build/crafting menu either. I value my limited gaming time nowadays and just didn't want to spend the night trawling forums etc for tweaks on getting a simple MP game running really.

I spent ages in The Forest alpha and that was in a better state, mind you as I recall it wasn't MP. Subnautica too was in EA for ages and it a better state. Given that this game is from the makers of superb Satisfactory, I am sure this will get polished up over time. For now I'll just wait and watch.

6. jasoncb

Hitman

Can't say i had any of those issues, maybe just unlucky i guess.

Did you really like The Forest building though? Thought it was extremely clunky.

7. Kainz

Capodecina

I've been searching high and low for folks with similar MP issues that we had and found a 'desync' issue where players eventually fail to receive data during gameplay and eventually lose connection. Other then that MP issues I couldn't really find much of at all. Our issue is quite an uncommon one. I got my refund last night but I am eager to find out why we have problems as I see a promising game here and I want to re-purchase.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/892970/discussions/1/3104638448270966816/

The Forest was clunky for building from what I recall during alpha, however I find Valheim in the same boat. When I first placed my workbench only to be told I need a roof over it - placing one was finicky at best and the damn game still insisted I build a roof when I had done. The build UI needs improving fast as we're not in Ultima Online's late 90's times anymore.

8. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Is it possible to set up a server in a pi 4 device or any Linux based server?

9. bJN

Mobster

I believe they released the server tools on Steam; most common method seems to be SteamCMD with an anonymous login and it will work fine. Toying with the idea myself rather than one of our group 6-8 people hosting all the time. Or may just cave in and rent one / swap out Minecraft server to it.

Either way we've been having a blast on it. Two of us have had a single crash to desktop and the only glitch was a duplicated part of the inventory on that CTD; otherwise it's been pretty seamless besides are degradation in performance when it's been open 6+ hours :D

10. Digital X

Sgarrista

11. Cully

Hitman

So ive played more of this and its is a masterpiece in the making.
    Its not just a survival,crafting,building game its an incredible adventure game more than anything else.

12. Tombstone

Capodecina

That bridge is insane ! I'm amazed there are any trees left standing with the amount they must have cut down for that :)

13. Digital X

Sgarrista

I'll pick this up later, having to deal without a boiler atm and surviving on electric heaters.

14. LeMson

Mobster

I have some seeds to replant trees, dunno how long they take to regrow, it'll make Greta happy rather than 100% deforestation :D

15. Digital X

Sgarrista

Well I'm hooked already. Just made a stone axe and now trying to make this log a makeshift bridge to a rock in the sea. The possiblities seems endless.

16. TonyTurbo78

Capodecina

This is a truly fantastic little game. I say little as it's less than 600mb in size. Incredible really.

17. Techen

Wise Guy

Am pretty sure it’s based on RuneScape. There is a lot of RuneScape like themes in here but I do love the game and it’s style. If they keep pumping out the content for this, it’s going to be bloody amazing.

18. loftie

Wise Guy

I think it's published by their publishing arm, but it's not made by them AFAIK. Satisfactory is made/published by Coffee Stain Studios/Publishing, this is made by Iron Gate AB and published by Coffee Stain Publishing.

19. meandu229

Wise Guy

20. jonneymendoza

Capodecina