Valheim

Soldato
]

Cheers lads any idea how much ram your servers are running with?
My Pi has 8GB but when I’ve check in on it I’ve not seen it use more than 4GB yet.

I went with the default option which is up to 5GB, hasn't skipped a beat so far though we haven't gone overboard with stuff. I also have it set to backup and restart daily which may help with things.
Any tips setting up the auto backup and restart? They updated with patches 2 days in a row so I had to up date the server. I have the script setup to auto check for updates when the server starts but ideally I would like to make it reboot the server at a set time every day and make a backup of the world.

Soldato
so its worth picking up then lol, not sure ive never heard of this till now but looks right up my street.

Yeah I'd say so. Solo is very doable but if you have someone to play with it's really good. Play it with my wife. We've tried quite a few survival games and this is easily the best and has huge potential.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
My Pi has 8GB but when I’ve check in on it I’ve not seen it use more than 4GB yet.

Any tips setting up the auto backup and restart? They updated with patches 2 days in a row so I had to up date the server. I have the script setup to auto check for updates when the server starts but ideally I would like to make it reboot the server at a set time every day and make a backup of the world.
On the GTX panel there's a section for scheduled tasks. Just create a new task and one of the options is backup and restart - just choose the date and time to start from and the recurring frequency.

The update thing irks me a bit; at work I don't know if an update has gone live or not because, funnily enough, I'm at work. I usually get a message from one of our group saying they can't connect and I just force update the game from the panel. Though it doesn't seem to like starting itself up again once it's patched, always needs a manual start which is irksome though not the end of the world.

Associate
Running a gtx server too. I like the control panel as it seems to give me all the options I need and is easy to use. Support a fairly quick to respond.

We do get random banding and floating objects etc but presumably that's game issues rather than server?

Soldato
On the GTX panel there's a section for scheduled tasks. Just create a new task and one of the options is backup and restart - just choose the date and time to start from and the recurring frequency.

The update thing irks me a bit; at work I don't know if an update has gone live or not because, funnily enough, I'm at work. I usually get a message from one of our group saying they can't connect and I just force update the game from the panel. Though it doesn't seem to like starting itself up again once it's patched, always needs a manual start which is irksome though not the end of the world.
At the moment I’m doing it through steamcmd. My script does seem to update and restart the server ok. I may look into adding it to a schedule with a shutdown script to do it every morning.

Associate
PM me guys if u wanna join my server

Not sure how to send PMs?

But id like to give it a go if there is room.

On a side note, tried to do the 2nd boss... but noped out of there pretty quick, nearly died twice... wasnt too bad when it was just him. Then a troll turned up, dwarves of all types, then these roots trapped me. I had 8 health and thought if I lose all this gear... so ran home :D

Soldato
Not sure how to send PMs?

But id like to give it a go if there is room.

On a side note, tried to do the 2nd boss... but noped out of there pretty quick, nearly died twice... wasnt too bad when it was just him. Then a troll turned up, dwarves of all types, then these roots trapped me. I had 8 health and thought if I lose all this gear... so ran home :D
enable trust or add me on discord -> jonneymendoza

Associate
Deathsquitos and Furlings are no joke.

Decided to explore didn’t I?
Thought it would be a good idea just to head West, see where it takes me.

The Plains and Deathsquitos is where it took me.

Got a portal down on a small island which was good, but the onward journey westward took me to another island, saw a furling, got him ok but then ganked by a deathsquito.

Had to find the resource to bring through the portal to build a new boat, then sail over on a corpse run. All good.

So I thought what should I do with the 2nd boat? Chop it up I thought, then sail back with all the copper etc back to base.

Clever I was, or so I thought.

I was wrong.

The noise of the chopping alerted otherwise undiscovered Furlings. Seems you see, they like to run in groups.

So, I’d chopped up the first boat ready to load up 2nd boat and sail back when the Furlings took out the 2nd boat and then me in quick succession.

Corpse run no.2

Built another boat and managed this time to retrieve everything.

3hrs this afternoon mostly on a CR.

Haven’t had fun like this since Everquest.

So kids, avoid the Plains ok?

Last edited:
Soldato

I can't help with the updating, but the auto backup I'm using is a basic robocopy script on a windows task scheduler. Currently runs every hour to an external USB drive and only backs up the world save incase of corruption.

Soldato

Hi.

are you using a pi 8gb to run a dedicated server?

how well is it running for you?

Are you using a NVME SSD connected via the USB 3 port?

I am having nothing but problems with mine. It works flawlessly if i install and run it on a micro sd card but on a WD ssd nvme drive connected to either a ELUTENG M2 to USB Adapter, or the Argon one m.2 case adapter, it doesnt boot to windows at all when connected on the USB 3 port.

On the usb 2 port it does but my server seems to crash every couple of hours(I Have disables the 3gb limit as well)

Soldato
Hi.

are you using a pi 8gb to run a dedicated server?

how well is it running for you?

Are you using a NVME SSD connected via the USB 3 port?

I am having nothing but problems with mine. It works flawlessly if i install and run it on a micro sd card but on a WD ssd nvme drive connected to either a ELUTENG M2 to USB Adapter, or the Argon one m.2 case adapter, it doesnt boot to windows at all when connected on the USB 3 port.

On the usb 2 port it does but my server seems to crash every couple of hours(I Have disables the 3gb limit as well)
Yes I am using the Pi 4 8GB. It is running really well. We have 4 people using it. I am using an M2 SATA that is connected to the USB 3 port. When you make the build of windows you need to dig into the system32/drivers folder. Delete uaspstor.sys and then copy USBSTOR.sys. Rename that copied USBSTOR.sys to uaspstor.sys. The second thing you need to do is flash your firmware on the Pi. To do that you need to update eeprom using the Pi software. You put that on an SD, put it in the Pi, boot it and you will get a green screen when it is done. That will then allow you to USB boot.

Other things to do are enable the 8GB (by disabling the 3GB limit) in the “bios”. Then move the USB boot order up so you don’t have to wait for it to check other sources for the boot files before it gets to USB.

Depending on the version of windows you are using you may find when you put the Ethernet in it doesn’t work or you get a BSOD. That means it needs a driver update for the Ethernet which you can get from the Windows on Raspberry discord.

Finally if you are over clocking it then I would set that up before you attach the M2 to the Pi. After I’ve built the windows (using WoR, ntlite and neon 3 (I kept edge so I can download things from the net)) I do the USB fix in system32 and then edit the config.txt to add the clock. Mine is running at 2.25GHz.

I’m running the dedicated server from steamcmd rather than steam directly.

Soldato
I think I'm done, spent far too may attempts to explore the Black Forests, keep dying, gear is as high as i can get it. I wouldn't mind but the fact you loose everything every time its boring me.

Soldato
Deathsquitos and Furlings are no joke.

Decided to explore didn’t I?
Thought it would be a good idea just to head West, see where it takes me.

The Plains and Deathsquitos is where it took me.

Got a portal down on a small island which was good, but the onward journey westward took me to another island, saw a furling, got him ok but then ganked by a deathsquito.

Had to find the resource to bring through the portal to build a new boat, then sail over on a corpse run. All good.

So I thought what should I do with the 2nd boat? Chop it up I thought, then sail back with all the copper etc back to base.

Clever I was, or so I thought.

I was wrong.

The noise of the chopping alerted otherwise undiscovered Furlings. Seems you see, they like to run in groups.

So, I’d chopped up the first boat ready to load up 2nd boat and sail back when the Furlings took out the 2nd boat and then me in quick succession.

Corpse run no.2

Built another boat and managed this time to retrieve everything.

3hrs this afternoon mostly on a CR.

Haven’t had fun like this since Everquest.

So kids, avoid the Plains ok?

Me thinking I'm the dogs danglies with full troll armour squaring up to a deathsquito because "how dangerous can a mozzie be?".

More than I thought, it turned out, after it one shot the joy out of me. :p

Back
Top Bottom