Valheim

Associate
I'll join in here as this bit's relevant to me:

How much is a realistic amount of stone to make a start? So far, I have about 4000 stockpiled. I've been gathering stone on and off pretty much since I started and I have rows of chests full of it.

Swamp is probably my next step. I can't progress further without iron. L3 bronze weapons, tools and armour. Can't build in stone without having iron. Already found the trader and bought the headlamp for exploring crypts more conveniently. I haven't brewed poison resistance potions yet, so that's the next thing.

I might move to another world to get iron, then return to my home world. I don't want third stage mobs attacking my temporary wooden hall while I'm building my castle, so I don't want to kill any bosses until my castle is finished.

With 4k stone you'll get 1k 2x1 stone pieces so you'll be pretty set, but then 1000 stone pieces on a bigger build will go pretty quickly.

Man of Honour
Why store it in chests and not piles?

It takes up much less space in chests. 1 pile of 50 stone is bigger than 1 chest containing 500 stone. Also, I just started that way and carried on.

What I probably should have done is store it at my intended building site, but what's done is done. And what will have to be done is a lot of carting. My intended building site is along the coast from my current hall and stone storage, so it won't be too bad.

Associate
It takes up much less space in chests. 1 pile of 50 stone is bigger than 1 chest containing 500 stone. Also, I just started that way and carried on.

What I probably should have done is store it at my intended building site, but what's done is done. And what will have to be done is a lot of carting. My intended building site is along the coast from my current hall and stone storage, so it won't be too bad.

If you haven't already, a good tip is to buy the megingjord belt from the trader as soon as you can. It gives you an extra 150 carrying ability which makes quite a bit of difference lugging a lot of stone about.

Man of Honour
With 4k stone you'll get 1k 2x1 stone pieces so you'll be pretty set, but then 1000 stone pieces on a bigger build will go pretty quickly.

I can see me ending up with a small wooden hall and some wooden workshops inside a large area srroundeed by a high stone wall. My plan is for a wall made of two parallel walls with raised ground in between as that would make a stronger wall. It's a big wall. So I think I'll need closer to 40,000 than 4,000. That's a lot of pickaxing away at boulders.

Man of Honour
If you haven't already, a good tip is to buy the megingjord belt from the trader as soon as you can. It gives you an extra 150 carrying ability which makes quite a bit of difference lugging a lot of stone about.

That's next on my list. I don't have enough coin yet. I have a portal at the trader in my main world, so a few more burial chambers and I should be good to go.

Im yet to find teh trader on my map :(

There are a few places they can spawn, so on the plus side you won't have to scour the gameworld to find one particular spot in one particular black forest biome area. They'll stay in the place where you first found them, so you won't have to go chasing them around either. Also, they show on your map (as a bag) from quite a long range. I found the trader in my main world by sailing around the coast of islands. That was close enough to have the trader near the middle of the island show on my map.

Soldato
Best tip for building is that you need your foundations to be blue. Took me a while to work that out. Core wood poles tend to sit on floorboards, so they go green, you need to make sure they are blue.

Man of Honour
Best tip for building is that you need your foundations to be blue. Took me a while to work that out. Core wood poles tend to sit on floorboards, so they go green, you need to make sure they are blue.

How? Without mods, I'm not aware of a way of controlling the placement properly, i.e. "keep this piece in this location on the x and y axes while moving it a precise distance downwards in the z axis".

Is there a way of building a neat earth ramp? I've created a large elevated area that I'm going to build my castle on and I'd like a ramp up to the elevated area to lead to the entrance. Something that a cart could be pulled up. Something that looks tidy. Right now I have a roughly functional ramp created with a pickaxe and hoe, but it's crude and too bumpy for a cart. I'm not aware of a way of levelling ground at an angle. My initial plan is to build 26 degree wooden beams along the sides of the ramp and attach flooring to the beams, but I don't know if that will work. If not, maybe I'll need a mod to give me control over building pieces.

I killed Elder this evening, so now I'm on the hunt for iron so I can start building in stone. One problem is that I used my stock of ~4000 stone to create the elevated area for my castle, so I have almost no stone left now. Another problem is that I haven't yet found any swamp areas. But both those problems are solvable. I finally have enough surtling cores to start making a substantal network of portals, so I can explore all day and portal back to base at night for safety.

Man of Honour
Erk! The swamp is quite a step up in difficulty from the black forest! I found a swamp biome next to a meadows biome on an island. Perfect - temporary base in the meadows biome, forays into the swamp to look for crypts to get iron. Off I go, poison res mead and my normal food mix of meat, berries and mushrooms and...aaarrgh, everything is trying to kill me! There's venomous things in the trees, venomous things in the water (and there's lots of stretches of shallow water - it's a swamp), skeletons all over the place and lots of draugr. Who are much, much tougher than greydwarfs. I saw some things on fire wandering around a jet of fire coming up out of the earth, but I decided to not go there.

I found a crypt and opened the gate with my swamp key, but the entrance was blocked by what looked like some sort of tree but I couldn't do any damage to it. It wasn't even showing 0 damage. No "too hard" message. Nothing. Maybe it's because I killed Elder in a different world to the one I'm in. Maybe it's because I forgot to put Elder's head on the stone.

I got a bunch of new things to craft with, though. Mostly horrible things, like entrails and stinking ooze. But not iron, which is what I really want.

Soldato
I found a crypt and opened the gate with my swamp key, but the entrance was blocked by what looked like some sort of tree but I couldn't do any damage to it. It wasn't even showing 0 damage. No "too hard" message. Nothing. Maybe it's because I killed Elder in a different world to the one I'm in. Maybe it's because I forgot to put Elder's head on the stone.

I swear this was meant to be fixed. Looks like you ran across a map generation bug where the tomb entrance is generated over a landscape object, that being the tree. During the initial release a lot of players were coming across blocked crypt entrances and I'm sure this was fixed. It is nothing to do with the elder etc, so you just need to find another crypt really - trust me there are loads of them! It doesn't seem so at first but a week from now you'll be mapping out every crypt.

The swamps is a horrible place to begin with and doesn't get better as you progress into the iron age with its gear. Just remember the majority of stuff in the swamps is weak to clubs and maces. The stagbreaker's AoE damage is awesome in the crypts but I wouldn't touch it as it destroys your stamina and at that point you'll really need it. Take a shield/mace (iron preferred) and a good bow, along with poison resist potions if you have them. The swamps teaches you to plan your inventory and its supplies ahead of your journey.

Soldato
Erk! The swamp is quite a step up in difficulty from the black forest! I found a swamp biome next to a meadows biome on an island. Perfect - temporary base in the meadows biome, forays into the swamp to look for crypts to get iron. Off I go, poison res mead and my normal food mix of meat, berries and mushrooms and...aaarrgh, everything is trying to kill me! There's venomous things in the trees, venomous things in the water (and there's lots of stretches of shallow water - it's a swamp), skeletons all over the place and lots of draugr. Who are much, much tougher than greydwarfs. I saw some things on fire wandering around a jet of fire coming up out of the earth, but I decided to not go there.

I got a bunch of new things to craft with, though. Mostly horrible things, like entrails and stinking ooze. But not iron, which is what I really want.

Yes, I am just a few days ahead of your exploration I think, and I also found the swamp very "erk"!

You definitely need better food than berries and mushrooms for the swamps. After my first foray ended in poisoned death and then my next ones ended with me bravely running away, I decided I needed to up my survivability a notch.

Entrails can craft sausages, you should have access to carrots and turnips about now too, and you can make jam. Fishing is also good. My current swamp expeditions are fueled by cooked fish, carrot soup/turnip stew and sausges. Jam or soup if I am running low, but nothing less than that. Having a small stack of healing potions to hand for emergencies is a must (usually when I get poisoned when already at half health). With a poison resist mead up this makes the swamps tricky but not overwhelming so long as I take it slow.

Some other things I have discovered that were not immediately obvious (to me at least):
You can hit leeches safely from land with the AoE of the stagbreaker or (my preferred method) the alternate attack of a mace (I only discovered this yesterday and it has made a massive difference for me).

I can usually get two mace swings in on a blob just as it lands before it can do its poison attack. Provided I don't miss this should kill it safely.

Draugr can be parried easily. I was farming these for trohpies at a spawner last night. Kite, parry and hit. So long as you don't get greedy with the parry follow-ups they become perfectly manageable. You can even parry arrows and get the stagger effect and parry attack bonus (I expect this will be patched out at some point), and the parry window is really generous, so raising your shield when you see the bow being drawn is usually enough.

My personal favourite tip that suddenly occured to me after pathing between bases: you can hoe the swamp! I made a nice ridge of dry ground for my route to the crypts areas, which means I can back up without having the issues of being in the water.

I still run from the flying deaths, though. They hit like a truck!

I found another biome near the edge of my swamp and was chased back across half the island by a flying insect that took me down to 4hp with one hit. Fortunately it also finds greydwarfs a tempting target it seems, so just as it was looking hopeless I was able to get some distance and lose it whilst it wiped a dwarf pack. I am not going back in that direction in a hurry!

Man of Honour
Well, it's not going well so far in my quest for iron. I've been exploring the first swamp biome I've found and so far I've found 3 structures with the green torches that indicate something:

i) A crypt, but with an indestructable tree growing through it and blocking the entrance.
ii) A flooded well, completely useless.
iii) A runestone about the Draugr and a few stone blocks. Also completely useless.

I died because I evaded an attack. Doing so put me into slightly deeper water so the game put my weapons away. No mace, no shield, no chance of survival. So I did a naked run...not a chance, killed again by the draugr that killed me the first time before I could equip anything. Got some backup kit (troll gear and an axe) and some food. Dead. May as well be naked in the swamp - troll gear is nowhere near good enough to be of any use. Naked run again, but this time with Eithyr power so I could run more and I lured the Draugr away from my corpses until it got caught up in a fight with skeletons and greylings on the swamp-meadow border. Got my main kit, easily killed the draugr...and got poisoned to death by a blob that had slopped in from the swamp biome, drawn by the noise of the fighting. I hadn't "wasted" a poison res mead because I was only making a brief run just slightly into the swamp biome to recover my gear before going home to go hunting and make sausages.

Then I spent a day roaming around meadows hunting. I now have plenty of sausages, cooked meat and roasted neck tails. Swamp is annoying - always dim, nothing much in it apart from things out to kill you. I just want to go there for iron. Iron isn't that rare in the world. The main reason people switched from bronze to iron was that iron was eaiser to get in quantity, not harder to get in quantity.

I might have to set up my farm before building anything in stone. I have carrot seeds and turnip seeds.

I'm in two minds about fishing. Money is a finite resource and you have to pay money for bait so that's an infinite money sink.

Soldato
There is a real variation I've noticed from one patch of any given biome to another in terms of the density of the structures. I mean, I know it's randomly generated, but even so. My first swamp was small, but only had one crypyt. We found another, larger one with several crypts all in a line and then another with only one crypt again despite being a decent size. Sounds like the procedural generation gods have not been on your side.

The good thing is that when you do find a crypt you can get a lot of iron out of it. The bad thing is that everything you want to craft from iron uses a metric ton of it. We thought we were rolling in iron. We had to make multiple trips to carry it out. Then we crafted a pickaxe and a weapon each and then it was almost all gone. We're yet to even think about upgrading them...

For us the amount of iron we now need is starting to feel a bit of grind for the first time in the game. That might be because the swamps just feel so unpleasant to be in, though.

What I would say in favour of fishing is that once you get the hang of it, you're getting 2-3 pieces of fish per piece of bait. So a stack of 50 from the vendor (10 coins) should net you well north of 100 fish, which should last for ages. The limit for me wasn't the money - it was how much patience I had to hunt for fish schools and then wait for a bite on the line.

Back
Top Bottom