Valheim

Associate
I needed this and hey, maybe more ppl can use it.
(ok, my builds are a lot smaller, but info helps and shows what i could do if I had any
talent for this sort of thing).

FYI: this guys site is filled with good tutorials

Valheim - How to build a Viking House - Mead Hall (Building Guide)

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
It's like a modern version of Minecraft that aint pixelated. Wonder if anyone has started trying to replicate The Lord of the Rings fortresses.

Man of Honour
It's like a modern version of Minecraft that aint pixelated. Wonder if anyone has started trying to replicate The Lord of the Rings fortresses.

You can replicate geography too. There are a variety of worlds available on Nexus. I don't know if Middle-Earth is available, but I wouldn't be surprised...yes, it is. Two of them:

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/616
https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/571

There are some replicas of various structures from the real world and from fantasy. The one that comes to my mind at the moment is Notre Dame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXcIpNq4SFM

Ah, found one sort of from LotR. Inspired by Minas Tirith rather than being a replica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iY1KQHuco

This one is supposed to be Helm's Deep. I have no idea how accurate it is. I read the book but that was a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmdr8LmL_0k

V F

V F

Soldato
That Helm's Deep is awesome. The Minas Tirith is well done as well but the scale ruins it. The detail they've got inside is amazing.

Soldato
Kind of feeling drained on this game at the moment. We killed Bonemass several days ago now and got our new hub base all developed, but I think we got so burnt out on schlupping to and from the swamps for iron that we just lost the motivation to press on into the mountains. My lad's now engrossed in Minecraft Dungeons instead and I've been filling in the odd gaming hour with Thronebreaker.

I am sure we'll come back to it in due course, but right now another round of mine-lug ore-mine-lug ore until we have all the mats for the next set of upgrades is not enticing us back in.

Soldato
Kind of feeling drained on this game at the moment. We killed Bonemass several days ago now and got our new hub base all developed, but I think we got so burnt out on schlupping to and from the swamps for iron that we just lost the motivation to press on into the mountains. My lad's now engrossed in Minecraft Dungeons instead and I've been filling in the odd gaming hour with Thronebreaker.

I am sure we'll come back to it in due course, but right now another round of mine-lug ore-mine-lug ore until we have all the mats for the next set of upgrades is not enticing us back in.

We've used a few mods to keep the game entertaining, one of those is "Unrestricted Portal" which we've configured to allow just ore through.. Without this you just lack the will to live as you progress..

The full list of mods we run to keep things entertaining without outright cheating:
Simple Recycling - No idea why this isn't in the game, breaking stuff down to recoup the materials is standard for building stuff, why not weapons etc?
Valheim Plus
Epic Loot (For magical items) - Just a nice addon and keeps some interest in upgrading and persuing more loot!
Map Sharing Made Easy - Vital, you still have to discover and map everything, but passing on pins to others is very helpful and only what you'd do in reality!
Any Portal - Saves having large portal gate areas, we had those but realised it was just becoming a faff of jumping to staging areas.
Unrestricted Portal - The big one for material grinding, works well when there are a small team of people.

This doesn't (for us) break the game, we still have to discover biomes and setup staging stations, but it's allowed us to invest in a 'town' where we collectively get everything done and then clear off where we like.

Some people love the whole epic adventure nature which we did for a while, but once materials are the main issue and you have several people in your server working together, it becomes difficult..

On the graphics front, I get it, we have had one person really 'reject' the game as they can't deal with it, but they've slowly come back and are enjoying it now they've got over the low-rent textures.
I find on max graphics settings, the world itself, especially vegetation is quite nice and definitely not an issue for me, and I just live with the textures, maybe someone will mod those at some point, but honestly, the game is far more than the graphics in this case, so worth just sticking with.

For £15 I've found it really enjoyable, mainly as my friends have been captivated and they had it weeks before me and are on their second world now..

Last edited:
Soldato
We've used a few mods to keep the game entertaining, one of those is "Unrestricted Portal" which we've configured to allow just ore through.. Without this you just lack the will to live as you progress..

The full list of mods we run to keep things entertaining without outright cheating:
Simple Recycling - No idea why this isn't in the game, breaking stuff down to recoup the materials is standard for building stuff, why not weapons etc?
Valheim Plus
Epic Loot (For magical items) - Just a nice addon and keeps some interest in upgrading and persuing more loot!
Map Sharing Made Easy - Vital, you still have to discover and map everything, but passing on pins to others is very helpful and only what you'd do in reality!
Any Portal - Saves having large portal gate areas, we had those but realised it was just becoming a faff of jumping to staging areas.
Unrestricted Portal - The big one for material grinding, works well when there are a small team of people.

This doesn't (for us) break the game, we still have to discover biomes and setup staging stations, but it's allowed us to invest in a 'town' where we collectively get everything done and then clear off where we like.

Some people love the whole epic adventure nature which we did for a while, but once materials are the main issue and you have several people in your server working together, it becomes difficult..

Cheers. I will suggest that to the lad. He was being a bit of a purist though last time we played. I suggested using the moving between worlds trick to get our ore back more quickly, but he was all "no dad, that's cheating." Maybe mods will be more palatable!

To be fair, I have put in around 60 hours so far, which is more than most games last so it's definitely been a worthwhile title for us, just need to get over this hump. Some mods might just do it.

I assume all players just need the same mods installed and there's nothing to set up in terms of it working when you open a realm as a server?

I can't understand why you can't breakdown gear for mats either. It's a bit annoying have all our outdated gear littering our compound and filling up chests. Map sharing would be good to get around the whole "can you ping that location again?" conversation we keep having, too.

Soldato
Cheers. I will suggest that to the lad. He was being a bit of a purist though last time we played. I suggested using the moving between worlds trick to get our ore back more quickly, but he was all "no dad, that's cheating." Maybe mods will be more palatable!

To be fair, I have put in around 60 hours so far, which is more than most games last so it's definitely been a worthwhile title for us, just need to get over this hump. Some mods might just do it.

I assume all players just need the same mods installed and there's nothing to set up in terms of it working when you open a realm as a server?

I can't understand why you can't breakdown gear for mats either. It's a bit annoying have all our outdated gear littering our compound and filling up chests. Map sharing would be good to get around the whole "can you ping that location again?" conversation we keep having, too.

Yep, basically all players install the mods, once you have installed Valheim Plus (basically copy the contents of a zip file to your game install), this gives you the bepinex directory, all the other mods are then placed in the \bepinex\plugins folder.. it's easy to remove/update them as necessary.

(Only if you run a dedicated server would you need to install Valheim plus on that as well, but all other mods are local to each players install).

Honestly, the way you can tailor mods for more authenticity is great.. Remember that having a portal in the first place is 'cheating'.. if you want pure then really you'd want no portals at all, once you allow them, then honestly it makes no sense to limit ore through them.

When there are 2 of you, the game is not really well built for that, I struggled and it's only through major co-operation have we set a town up, however with those mods we use, I've managed to play the game on my own and with 2 of us quite nicely.

Personally, I like the idea of building one main 'town' as there are limited resources and it keeps you invested, but them having one central place means allowing movement of resource efficiently and since Portals are in the base game, then I think it's a good compromise to allow those to be used..

Soldato
Just 'completed' it in our group game (final boss done). I think we are just going to fill all our chests with all the materials and then play something else for a bit.
I got all 5 of us in a boat and just sailed north as far as a I could, we tried to hunt serpents on the way but only found 1. Not got to the edge of the world yet as the cold stopped us.

Associate
Just 'completed' it in our group game (final boss done). I think we are just going to fill all our chests with all the materials and then play something else for a bit.
I got all 5 of us in a boat and just sailed north as far as a I could, we tried to hunt serpents on the way but only found 1. Not got to the edge of the world yet as the cold stopped us.

In a similar position, just been gathering excessive quantities of iron and other stuff to the point it's either stop... or go build crazy. Chose the latter but the project is almost complete. I think it's a case of waiting for content then.

Soldato
Just loaded up to test. I get the sword in the middle of the black screen which takes a few seconds then I'm on the main menu. Using the default launch option. Try that and then Vulcan, or verify game files. It recently had an update.

I've put about 8 hours into this game. Finding it incredibly boring. No idea why I can't get into it.

Makes me want to just play ark as it has a similar feel, but ark has dinosaurs. Why would I pick valheim over ark is my feeling.

I want to enjoy it but really am not

Back
Top Bottom