Valheim

Associate
Erm, there's no Ultra settings. I'm playing it perfectly fine with my rig all maxed. The game drops frames for a split second every time it auto saves, but other than that, silk. 90fps+ easy. I'm pretty sure a 3080 should run 4k at over 60 fps all maxed no problem.

Just tried it again everything ok max at 4k and the max I get on my 3080 is 55 FPS max in the starting zone.

Soldato
How on earth do you stop mobs from respawning inside your base area? I've fenced (those upright spiked poles) off one side of the base so far and used spiked fencing to kill some of them but the sods still spawn within. I'm not too sure fencing is useful.

Soldato
How on earth do you stop mobs from respawning inside your base area? I've fenced (those upright spiked poles) off one side of the base so far and used spiked fencing to kill some of them but the sods still spawn within. I'm not too sure fencing is useful.
They only spawn from a nest. However I’ve found a moat/trench being quite good at stopping them.

Associate
I'm tempted to pick this up but maybe in a few months when I've got some more time. Assuming that the updates will mean there's a need to start over anyway.

It looks like a bit of fun to get lost in for quite a while. I could see myself spending whole days trying to build something without really noticing the time passing.

Soldato
Finally started cracking on with getting iron. Managed to get about 80 iron scraps from a single crypt. Had to make 2 trips. I also found the trader too. I got the extra weight carrying ability. I need to get into the mountains and get some silver. Need a glowing bow!

Man of Honour
I watched some videos of this and I'm still not 100% sold on it...can someone summarise what this has over something like say Green Hell or The Forest, people are rating this so much higher than those titles and streamers in particular are going nuts for Valheim but other than the bosses maybe I'm not seeing what features this has that are giving this so much higher scores than other similar titles?

Soldato
I've seen some of the awesome halls/housing people are building but I'm struggling to build anything resembling those. Need to get my head around the support requirements.

Soldato
I watched some videos of this and I'm still not 100% sold on it...can someone summarise what this has over something like say Green Hell or The Forest, people are rating this so much higher than those titles and streamers in particular are going nuts for Valheim but other than the bosses maybe I'm not seeing what features this has that are giving this so much higher scores than other similar titles?

Try it and see, refund if you don't get on with it. I'm not being flippant, it's difficult to put into words what makes this better than the others I've tried (Tree of Life, Rust, The Forest, plus a few other obscure games I can't remember now).

It doesn't do anything particularly new. It seems to have taken the best bits of all the other games and refined them into a very atmospheric, playable, enjoyable package. The graphics work really well, despite the models being low poly - I think the lighting really helps. The world is huge, really huge. There are goals to achieve, boss fights to aim for, real progression that feels worthwhile. Whilst easily playable solo it really comes alive when playing with others. I'd suggest WorthaBuy's review on youtube - I know some don't like his style but he nails what makes this so playable.

Soldato

Man of Honour
I'll give the WAB video a watch when the footie finishes and see if it clears up what makes Valheim standout compared to the rest

EDIT : watched the WAB video now, got to confess I'm still not entirely sure why its rated so highly. From the video it seems that what Mack is saying is that it was those memorable "moments" that occurred when he was out and about in the wilds with friends but what he described also happens (in terms of memorable moments) when out and about in the wilds with friends in stuff like The Forest..so I'm still none the wiser really as to what actually sets this above stuff like The Forest. I guess I will just have to try it myself and see how it compares with the other survival games that I have. It looks decent enough but I'm not seeing anything which rates it 10s of % better than things like The Forest or Medieval Dynasty for example. Will give it a try and see what I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
WaB's video is quite accurate. The adventures you can have with multiple players can be bordering on hilarious but worthwhile. Every adventure, be it tree felling or dungeon hunting kinda has it's own memories you'll share with your friends. There is a lot of work for the 4 man devs to do but so far what they've made is very good - patience is required at the start imo.

Buildings take a while to accomplish and you won't building much right off the bat.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Playing this as a group of 4 and it's a really, really fun game.

Can't put my finger on what it is but in general the survival genre bores me pretty quickly but something about this has me hooked. The atmosphere works well, it scales well without seeming like a pointless grind and really rewards coop play.

We are 27 hours in killed the first boss and since then just been building up a huge hall we share, well 3 of us so, one chap likes to be a bit of a loner, we have portals up a really decent running economy supporting one another and at some point soon will have to ocean hop for the second boss and establish a base overseas.

I've fell more into the building role of the group which wouldn't normally be my style but really enjoying it building up the hall and its walls and now building a road between our settlements as portals don't let you move some materials.

The random attack events are fun, the buggers smashed down my newly constructed walls and had a huge battle with a load of grey dwarves in the courtyard.

Great game and having played 27 hours and barely scraping the surface is insane and this is blinking early access!

Associate
https://www.pcgamer.com/valheim-inc...tm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow Haven't tried it personally yet, as with my setup I don't really need to. If you're struggling with FPS try this.

Edit: I'll test it anyway, might get a small improvement I suppose.

Edi2: Can confirm this works, I went around 59-60fps before and 90-92fps after.

Then I reloaded and it wasn't as high.. I'm stumped now.

You have to repeat the last step each time you launch the game.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Love this game some hilarious moments to be had, at the moment we are building a road from a large Dark Forest all the way back to base, spent about an hour last night trying to hack a way up round the side of a mountain. Some areas need some more tlc but that damn cart is easy to damage but boyyou can carry a lot of weight with it.

Soldato
Love this game some hilarious moments to be had, at the moment we are building a road from a large Dark Forest all the way back to base, spent about an hour last night trying to hack a way up round the side of a mountain. Some areas need some more tlc but that damn cart is easy to damage but boyyou can carry a lot of weight with it.

They do need to tinker with the levelling/road building tool, that can be insane frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom