Valve - Steam Deck

Soldato
Interesting, could fulfil my handheld void, I know the OLEd switch will be a disappointment. This should actually allow you to play games at a playable FPS in a 21st century resolution.

Associate
Ordering 512Gb version. Will have almost no time to sit at PC desk gaming with my first little one a week away, so this will certainly fill the PC void as i'll side load windows and be able to remote play my PS5. Gamepass for xbox/pc too. All the good stuff in one place.

Soldato
Interesting, could fulfil my handheld void, I know the OLEd switch will be a disappointment. This should actually allow you to play games at a playable FPS in a 21st century resolution.

The valve dev in the ign hands-on said it has 2 terflops of power and should let people play the games in their library without issue at 720p.

Not sure that's the 21st resolution you're looking for...

Soldato
Ordering 512Gb version. Will have almost no time to sit at PC desk gaming with my first little one a week away, so this will certainly fill the PC void as i'll side load windows and be able to remote play my PS5. Gamepass for xbox/pc too. All the good stuff in one place.

Expensive hand held! I think the 512GB is the right one to go for though. You couldn't even fit some games on the 64GB base model should've been 128GB minimum but I guess they felt that £350 was the right entry level price.

Soldato
Expensive hand held! I think the 512GB is the right one to go for though. You couldn't even fit some games on the 64GB base model should've been 128GB minimum but I guess they felt that £350 was the right entry level price.

I was concerned about the size too, Switch games are relatively small since they don't need textures above 1080. Will we be forced to download entire full-fat games in 4k with multiplayer?

I know Xbox allows you to select certain parts of some games like only the campaign, but not sure if a Steam thing too as don't game on PC these days.

Caporegime

It is expensive console, but a cheap gaming PC...that's one way to look at it.

I am very tempted, but 256G version and then expand via SD card.

Soldato
The valve dev in the ign hands-on said it has 2 terflops of power and should let people play the games in their library without issue at 720p.

Not sure that's the 21st resolution you're looking for...

As in not dropping down to 368p like on some first party Switch titles. Which is what my comment was aimed at after I referenced the upcoming OLEd switch.

Caporegime
The 64gb...thats just so they can say it starts from 349!

For me it's too expensive for casual gamers.
Too nerfed for Hardcore.
And have to worry about valves commitment to stuff like this.

Battery life is poor as expected. So it's not really portable.

I don't really see a big market for it.
A gaming laptop can do it all. So although a laptop it's more expensive. Its versatile.
And this product is well into the premium console territory

I like it. But not enough to buy it.

Maybe if you travel a lot or something. But otherwise. No

Caporegime
The 64gb...thats just so they can say it starts from 349!

For me it's too expensive for casual gamers.
Too nerfed for Hardcore.
And have to worry about valves commitment to stuff like this.

Battery life is poor as expected. So it's not really portable.

I don't really see a big market for it.
A gaming laptop can do it all. So although a laptop it's more expensive. Its versatile.
And this product is well into the premium console territory

I like it. But not enough to buy it.

Maybe if you travel a lot or something. But otherwise. No

You have a point of it's target audience, hard core mouse/KB gaming crowd wouldn't go for this. You want the 120fps for your Apex.
You can't currently get it if you are new to PC gaming as you need to have bought a game before June already to pre-order. That rules out any new players who want to dabble in PC gaming. Casual gamers may be largely in this group too.
Then you have people who used to have a gaming PC but fell out so have a steam account like me. Then you also remember what it was like about PC gaming and it certainly not hand held.

I dunno, it's VERY niche and I am not sure I need anything more than my Switch for travelling.

Soldato
I dunno, it's VERY niche and I am not sure I need anything more than my Switch for travelling.

This is how I feel really. I've not logged into my Steam account for 10 years and I'm not bothered. Switch has me covered for what I want to play on the go. This is certainly a nice piece of kit but as you say, fairly niche in the grand scheme of things.

Soldato
I think I'll pop down the £4 reservation then mull it over in the coming months.

Want to know more about it, I just can't see it working as well as I would hope especially for old pc games that don't conventionally support controllers.

For those I imagine it loads up a "make do" steam controller profile which I'm sure does the job fairly well enough.

Will see.

Soldato
If this works for Game Pass I'll get one.

It's essentially just a pc so should do.

In the ign interview, their interviewer asked that exact question and the steam guys basically said it will.

But I bet there's a caveat like having to install windows for that, rather than the preinstalled SteamOS which again they said Is completely fine to do.

Seems pretty open but want to hear real world reports first

Back
Top Bottom