Valve - Steam Deck

Associate
But I must admit, this has potential. I've got over 100 Steam games & if I did want to play portable, that's a great starting library. It means you can basically just cost the hardwre & inherit your whole library.
I really think this has a market. Not sure how big it will be, but it has potential.

Yep, many people already have a decent collection of games on Steam, but haven't touched a lot of them as someone above said. Remember the steam sales when you just bought things on a whim? All just to bolster the game collection. I've barely touched most of my steam library, but if I could play on a handheld in the living room whilst gf is watching TV, then yes, I could see myself doing this. So after the initial cost of the deck, there are no further costs of buying games.

Soldato
^ To be fair; judging by the shipping dates for this; the tech will be a year old before it even gets to the consumer! I do fancy one but like others I suspect it will be in a drawer after a week of use.

Man of Honour
I think it's cheap. I think it's about 20% less than what they could have charged personally.

It's not fair comparing to a Switch because the Switch is using a 5 year old+ tech and it is still £300.

The Switch can also be sold at cost or at a loss as you’re stuck buying very expensive licensed games.

With the Steam Deck you don’t have to give Valve another penny, and even if you buy only from steam the games are orders of magnitude cheaper than on the Switch for the same game.

Caporegime
^ To be fair; judging by the shipping dates for this; the tech will be a year old before it even gets to the consumer! I do fancy one but like others I suspect it will be in a drawer after a week of use.

I realise that, I wrote that knowing that fact.

But it still doesn't change the fact that the switch is a 5 year old tech for £300 at the moment and not going to change for the next 12 months either.

Man of Honour
One thing I wished they had done is have 2 USB-C ports, one at the top and one at the bottom. So when it is docked, it plugs straight into the dock. Since it has just the USB-C socket at the top, then it needs a cable. So the dock is more like a dongle.

Plug it in upside down.

Soldato
I think I will wait until a model comes out that can do 1080p on a monitor with ease. 720p is a bit low for PC games on the TV. The Switch is fine because the game style lends itself that way but that’s Nintendo and the whole eco system leans that way. The PC side of games I feel most games goes more for graphics fidelity which benefits from higher res, 1080p minimum IMO.

If you want to play on a monitor, an actual PC is what you want.

Associate
It's gonna absolutely rock. This is a real game changer. Time to ditch Microsoft and Nintendo fully when this thing hits.
The Steam Deck is going to run SteamOS which is based on Arch Linux and KDE Plasma. This is great as Arch is a really snappy distro to begin with, and Plasma is a really efficient desktop environment. Valve have already been responsible for the growing popularity of gaming on Linux, I feel the next few years are going to be very very interesting.

Caporegime
What are you going to play on this? That isn't already on a slick eco system like Nintendo?

This is a terrible idea and gaming laptops haven't went smaller than 13-15" for a reason.

Geforce experience is available for tablets. I honestly can't see why you would use this.

Razer even have the kishi or whatever their controller is for Android to make it into a handheld.

Back
Top Bottom