Valve - Steam Deck

Associate
What are you going to play on this? That isn't already on a slick eco system like Nintendo?

This is a terrible idea and gaming laptops haven't went smaller than 13-15" for a reason.

Geforce experience is available for tablets. I honestly can't see why you would use this.

Razer even have the kishi or whatever their controller is for Android to make it into a handheld.

If this is a terrible idea, then so is the switch. Anyway, there are other handheld pc systems from the likes of GPD and they've sold reasonable numbers. The steam deck will sell really well as it has valve behind it.

Not only is this a great little linux box, i'll be able to play my steam collection plus other pc games outside of steam and emulators. Why do I want to buy over-priced rip-off games on the switch when I can pick up great games on the pc at a much cheaper price? What's not to like about a reasonably priced gaming handheld that runs open source operating systems?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Nintendo are going to have a really hard time in the future. Not necessarily because of this device, but because Nintendo are just about out of ideas and ways to continue to rip off people. I can tell you, I have more fun playing on my Anbernic RG350M or Powkiddy RGB10 Max than I do on the switch. It seems plenty of others do also judging by the exploding popularity of such devices

Associate
Interesting to see responses from "amazing" to "who would buy this?" (Almost like different people are different :p)

I'm interested in it. My spare time in the evenings tends to be spent with my fiancee, but I do pick up my Switch if she wants to watch something I don't. I've been going for Switch versions of games I want to play where I can as I know I'll get a lot more time with them there than sitting at my PC. Getting one of these would mean I didn't have to always get the Switch version, or could play games that haven't made it to the Switch, or play with others who don't have a Switch... Lots of good points for me.

That said, there's no need to preorder for me. I'm already sitting on a backlog of first party Nintendo games that could last me a year easily. I'll wait until it's out and perhaps even try and get a hands on before I decide. Even if I don't go for one I can see myself being tempted again for a gen 2 model if it's successful

Soldato
What are you going to play on this? That isn't already on a slick eco system like Nintendo?

This is a terrible idea and gaming laptops haven't went smaller than 13-15" for a reason.

Geforce experience is available for tablets. I honestly can't see why you would use this.

Razer even have the kishi or whatever their controller is for Android to make it into a handheld.

I'll need to travel post pandemic for work and already need to store a work laptop. The Switch is great but this would allow me to take my entire steam library with me and give me more options.

Caporegime
I'll need to travel post pandemic for work and already need to store a work laptop. The Switch is great but this would allow me to take my entire steam library with me and give me more options.

You can't realistically play your entire steam library on it not with an enjoyable experience.

For example there is no way I could play CSGO and it be an enjoyable experience, it requires a mouse and keyboard and when you add that into the mix you may as well have just got a gaming laptop. But street fighter sure that would be fine. The whole I can play my steam library is an exaggeration only some games will suit the handheld experience. Then you have games even though you technically could play them would be far more enjoyable on a large screen, etc and you are effectively ruining the story, time and effort by the developers by playing on a small low Res screen.

Also you are limited by the storage as well. I know I couldn't get my whole steam library onto such small storage available. I'd be lucky to get 10% of my games on one at a push. Whereas a laptop has no issues they come with 3 storage slots these days so can easily accommodate several terabytes of SSD and usually 2 nvme drives and 1 sata.

Soldato
You can't realistically play your entire steam library on it not with an enjoyable experience.

For example there is no way I could play CSGO and it be an enjoyable experience, it requires a mouse and keyboard and when you add that into the mix you may as well have just got a gaming laptop. But street fighter sure that would be fine. The whole I can play my steam library is an exaggeration only some games will suit the handheld experience. Then you have games even though you technically could play them would be far more enjoyable on a large screen, etc and you are effectively ruining the story, time and effort by the developers by playing on a small low Res screen.

Also you are limited by the storage as well. I know I couldn't get my whole steam library onto such small storage available. I'd be lucky to get 10% of my games on one at a push. Whereas a laptop has no issues they come with 3 storage slots these days so can easily accommodate several terabytes of SSD and usually 2 nvme drives and 1 sata.

I expect to play enough of my games to entertain me. I have hundreds of games on steam most from generations ago so no issue for me playing on a "low res" screen. I have a decent enough laptop already along with a Switch, a PS5 and a Series X so I'm sorted for big screen gaming.

I have no interest in playing competitive FPS so that's not a worry for me and I hope the track pads are enough for some turn based strategy and Football Manager etc. Heaps of RPGs etc will be great on it as well. A laptop you can easily add perhaps 3 pieces of storage but I appreciate the portability of this and with fast Internet and can install and uninstall. I'll play mostly oldish games so won't be an issue.

I get it's not for you and thats cool.

Soldato
I expect to play enough of my games to entertain me. I have hundreds of games on steam most from generations ago so no issue for me playing on a "low res" screen. I have a decent enough laptop already along with a Switch, a PS5 and a Series X so I'm sorted for big screen gaming.

I have no interest in playing competitive FPS so that's not a worry for me and I hope the track pads are enough for some turn based strategy and Football Manager etc. Heaps of RPGs etc will be great on it as well. A laptop you can easily add perhaps 3 pieces of storage but I appreciate the portability of this and with fast Internet and can install and uninstall. I'll play mostly oldish games so won't be an issue.

I get it's not for you and thats cool.
Agreed, I think I can play anything (that will run well) on this so in happy. The only exception will be RTS games for me.

Soldato
Put a deposit in for the base model, may cancel down the line but to be honest this is just the kind of device I’ve wanted for a long time.

if nothing else this will be the ultimate retro arch device.

Soldato
It's a nice idea but for me it wouldn't get used as the issue isn't where I game but having the time or inclination to do it.

I did set something similar up with my pc streaming games to a tablet with a controller and it was kind of cool but once the novelty wore off I didn't use it.

Associate
I've put in for the pre-order queue thing. I'm in much the same boat as several others here in that I think it looks awesome, but don't know how much I'd actually use it. But since the queue is already over a year long I will make up my mind based on where I am next year

Soldato
Im not impressed with 3 factors - battery life (absolutely awful for the price), weight (pretty hefty considering all factors) - and storage you are paying through the nose for last gen size (ie really considering this is 6 months away they should be doing 512gb / 1tb/ 2tb for the same price, 32gb is pretty pointless imo esp considering the type of memory)

give how big they are they really could have made a "wow" product , but instead its a bit meh

Caporegime
Im not impressed with 3 factors - battery life (absolutely awful for the price), weight (pretty hefty considering all factors) - and storage you are paying through the nose for last gen size (ie really considering this is 6 months away they should be doing 512gb / 1tb/ 2tb for the same price, 32gb is pretty pointless imo esp considering the type of memory)

give how big they are they really could have made a "wow" product , but instead its a bit meh

They are not using the standard 80mm NVME SSD but a smaller one, not sure the cost on those but I expect it to be more expensive.

I kind of agree with the other 2 points, the weight of it means you can't really play it handheld for long. Your arms will tired out before the battery dies…so that kind of makes the battery life problem gone lol.

I probably will Bluetooth a controller into it to play that in hotel or on the plane. Plug in the USB power on the flight. As for the storage problem, External SSD, not cheap but should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom