Valve - Steam Deck

Man of Honour
I’d wait for sales personally, or dual boot and use game pass. A mobile Xbox then.

Game pass, the big Epic library of free games we’ve all been building up over the years, and dirt cheap steam games.

Yes the hardware is expensive, but you save a lot of money in the long run.

Soldato
They not top end titles though. Some still good games there that I can see but having 100's in your wallet still going to cost a fortune. That's not the real concern though for me it would be the hardware battery life on top end games.
I just retrieved my account this morning as I've not logged into Steam for years. New releases like F1 2021 are £49.99 just like most other places. Sales are where it's at though.

Caporegime
You don't HAVE to buy games you don't want to play. Games cost money, that's the same on any system so yes it would cost more if you are starting from scratch, that is VERY obvious and don't need to be pointed out. I think we all know that and I think anyone is denying that.

I think there is enough information out even now for people to make an informed decision, plus, it's £4 that is going to cost you if you change your mind, not £400.

It's not a problem really.

Last edited:
Associate
I managed to reserve one of the top-spec units around 11 minutes in - mines showing Q1 2022. Which is fine, it'll at least mean there'll be a ton a reviews out and we'll get to see some real-world usage so I can decide whether to keep the order or not then.

Man of Honour
They not top end titles though. Some still good games there that I can see but having 100's in your wallet still going to cost a fortune. That's not the real concern though for me it would be the hardware battery life on top end games.

Search for whatever game you determine to be “AAA” and check the sales history. I can’t read your mind about what games you consider “AAA” and I can’t hold your hand for searching the price history.

Soldato
…don’t forget you going to have to buy games on steam afterwords as well.

Not necessarily, plenty of places sell games for cheaper than Steam which will activate on there. The number of people buying one of these who aren't already PC gamers in some form will be minimal I suspect.

Not sure why there's so much griping about the storage either, you simply do not need your entire Steam library with you at all times and large capacity Micro SD cards aren't particularly expensive.

Man of Honour
Portable handhelds have historically never done that well bar the switch. But that was because that was also a Wii replacement and is used by many just docked.

The Nintendo DS sold the same as the best selling home console, the PS2.

The original Gameboy line sold the same as the second best selling home console, the PS4.

Caporegime
The Nintendo DS sold the same as the best selling home console, the PS2.

The original Gameboy line sold the same as the second best selling home console, the PS4.

yeah nintendo are the only ones who have ever done well in the market. sega, sony, everyone else didn't do that well. the vita and psp did okay but there is a reason why no successors was made

Man of Honour
yeah nintendo are the only ones who have ever done well in the market. sega, sony, everyone else didn't do that well. the vita and psp did okay but there is a reason why no successors was made
True, anyone other than Nintendo failed to capture the market.

This device will be the same, except the difference is that they don’t need developers to support the system so it will never be a failure for anyone who purchases one.

Having all of the game pass, steam library, or epic free games catalog on there from day one is awesome.

Permabanned
True, anyone other than Nintendo failed to capture the market.

This device will be the same, except the difference is that they don’t need developers to support the system so it will never be a failure for anyone who purchases one.

Having all of the game pass, steam library, or epic free games catalog on there from day one is awesome.

Tell you what they could do, since this is the first one of the consoles out they could (later on bring a pro) model out. Something with a larger battery and more storage. These are the two things that (for me) let it down at the moment.

I would NEVER play AAA titles (as in biggest played) games but more emulator style titles. (Can't talk about that here). For example, n64 titles i.e zelda, mario e.t.c.

Caporegime
It has micro SD card, just put one in, or carry a dozen on you, it's not like they are big. (Yes I know they cost money, but so will larger internal storage)

As for the battery, don't think that's the problem, being a full PC running X86, it will drain the battery no matter what. If they put in one say, that can last 10 days, you are going to be holding a 3kg handheld the size of 15" monitor.

Larger battery = heavier. Then there will be people moaning about the size and weight.

Smaller console = people moan about the small battery.

The takeaway from this, people will moan, no matter what you make, you can't please everybody. I think they have done all the balancing from test groups and this is the middle ground with the current tech they can do.

I was sceptical at the start but having thought about it....the more this makes sense. The compromises they have made is nowhere near the compromise they could have done. It NEEDS to hit a price point and i think for the R&D to bring this to market, £400 / £500, I would think this is sold at a loss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom