Valve - Steam Deck

Caporegime
Valve is basically Google, aren't they. Nobody will be talking about these in 6 months, and Valve will lose interest.

Even if that happens, the saving grace is that this is just a PC. Unlike a console if the system dies, the eco-system dies and thus the console becomes useless.

This won't, never will really. It will forever runs PC games in 720p for as long as the games you are running runs well at 720p with the spec it has now. And as a games library that it can run, right now it has more than you can play in your life time, it has more out of the gate than all of the other consoles combined. and then some.

So even if Valve lose interest, unless Valve shuts down Steam, the Steam Deck itself will still have value and still works like a PC.

Last edited:
Associate
Valve is basically Google, aren't they. Nobody will be talking about these in 6 months, and Valve will lose interest.
I guess we'll see, one of the few good things about the long ass pre order queue is that reviews are going to be out a long time before the majority will be able to buy them. And I think a lot of it will be based on how well it reviews.
If people like it and it sells well then they will keep interest in it. If not then, as above, its just a hand held PC. So while it could benefit from specific support, it doesn't actually need it. Users can just use it like any other PC.

Associate
The only nitpick i saw was that Linus commented that he wished the screen is 1080p and OLED for movie/TV content, but is perfectly fine for gaming. That doesn't bother me as that won't be the way i would be using it.

Completely agree, it's a gaming handheld first and foremost, but it can also be used for media consumption .. which to pretty much everyone is perfectly fine on a mobile phone with a normal IPS screen.

The hardware just doesn't allow for 1080p gaming and I think keeping it at 800p is a smart choice from Valve!

OLED would've also driven up the price unnecessarily..

Associate
OLED would've also driven up the price unnecessarily..

I wonder where these will actually be used on battery much, because OLED is power hungry unless displaying mainly dark stuff.

The GSMarena battery life table shows that clearly:
https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
Although you have to sort be web browsing our video and ignore call times.
Those Samsung M series phones with AMOLED screens and 6,000mAh (isn't there even a newer one with 7,000mAh?) only make the top ten because Samsung do well in the talk time test.

For web browsing, IPS totally dominates.
For video playback, IPS still wins but OLED did better.
Resolution also matters hence that Realme 6i.

Gaming would probably be more similar to video playback. Horror games and stealth sneakers would do well, flight simulators found clouds all the time not so much.

Soldato
It would be nice if they continue to iterate on the deck, but it won't matter if they don't. It's a PC,
We can install whatever we want on it, and it will be able to run 1000's of games right from the off.

Associate
I wonder where these will actually be used on battery much, because OLED is power hungry unless displaying mainly dark stuff.

Interesting, I didn't even think about that!

Honestly, I really think Valve went with the best configuration here and after seeing the hands on video from Linus I am even more impressed.

I'm still going for the 64GB base model..

Associate
Find it odd that everyone seems to think this is the first handheld gaming device, like it's the only thing that exists!

Recently got my OneXPlayer and to be honest it is fantastic, really really good build quality, great specs and plays a lot of stuff really well.

Playing Modern Warfare on it or Battlefield V it's really awesome experience. Yes it's not a powerhouse but it is viable and plays stuff surprisingly well.

I've reserved a steam deck too but it wouldn't surprise me by then there will be other Chinese handholds with much better specs available.

Caporegime
I know there are others (I watch LLT), but this one is the first one that isn't a kickstarter or made by an unknown company and with good feedback from LTT.

Not to mention most of the ones before are like £700+ to start off with, this has a much lower entry point, even the middle tier is quite reasonably priced for a little computer.

So what stopped me before was the high starting price, unknown company (hence unknown built quality). These 2 points would stop me buying a lot of items, not just a handheld console.

Soldato
Not had of since my fx8350 died and bought an Xbox by i do like the odd round of csgo and quake this sounds idea as my laptop ain't the fastest.

Associate
Find it odd that everyone seems to think this is the first handheld gaming device, like it's the only thing that exists!

Recently got my OneXPlayer and to be honest it is fantastic, really really good build quality, great specs and plays a lot of stuff really well.

Playing Modern Warfare on it or Battlefield V it's really awesome experience. Yes it's not a powerhouse but it is viable and plays stuff surprisingly well.

I've reserved a steam deck too but it wouldn't surprise me by then there will be other Chinese handholds with much better specs available.

It's also by a nobody brand as far as UK goes at least, priced through the roof with a vastly inferior GPU...obviously it doesn't have the slick custom Steam integration etc. You're right that Valve wasn't exactly first to market, although I think they're about to make most of the existing options look pretty poor.

Soldato
Looks kinda cool.

Not sure where it would fit in my gaming ecosystem though as I don't really do handhelds. I dont have a life where I need to game on the move or where I would sit using a handheld.

Two things also would be of concern. Battery life and anti-cheat.

That said I could see my other half using it. Will wait for further info and reviews.

Not sure it would out perform my laptop but as a small form factor solution to allow connection to a monitor and peripherals it definitely has legs.

If it could be used for the office package it would make a very compelling argument but I read it hasn't got a windows based OS so not sure if it will have productivity capability?

Associate
The Steam Deck hardware is pretty much final, and SteamOS 3.0 is done for the most part. Valve will be working on anti-cheat with the various 3rd parties over the next 3 or so months before launch - that's why it's not ready to be released so soon.
Also, it's amazing just how well games can be run on Linux. I actually average higher FPS on GTA V (and online) on my Arch Linux install with customer proton-ge through Lutris than I do on Windows 10. DXVK is amazing. Gaming on Linux is only going to get better and better, especially now that people are getting highly interested in the Steam Deck.

Associate
Looks kinda cool.

Not sure where it would fit in my gaming ecosystem though as I don't really do handhelds. I dont have a life where I need to game on the move or where I would sit using a handheld.

Two things also would be of concern. Battery life and anti-cheat.

That said I could see my other half using it. Will wait for further info and reviews.

Not sure it would out perform my laptop but as a small form factor solution to allow connection to a monitor and peripherals it definitely has legs.

If it could be used for the office package it would make a very compelling argument but I read it hasn't got a windows based OS so not sure if it will have productivity capability?

You can install Windows on it. You aren't tied to the Linux based Steam OS. It is and fore most a handheld PC with a screen.

Soldato
You can install Windows on it. You aren't tied to the Linux based Steam OS. It is and fore most a handheld PC with a screen.

Hmmmm, interesting. Very compelling.

I shall watch this with interest.

Could be one of those things where I don't know I need it until I have it. Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

Back
Top Bottom