Poll: VAR or No VAR?

VAR or no VAR?

• VAR - Correct decisions but delays and controversy

Votes: 90 55.6%
  • No VAR - Wrong decisions but no delays

Votes: 72 44.4%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I actually don't think VAR is as big a problem as people make out, but one thing I don't like is when they spent like 2mins+ analysing. If it takes more than 60s then stay with the onfield decision as it can't be a "clear and obvious" error.

Caporegime
Go watch 2009 champions League semi final between Chelsea and Barcelona then come back and say no VAR is better!
It's better when it makes obvious mistakes... obvious, and overrules them. We can all agree this is better.

When two players are level and you have to compare armpit bushiness to length of big toenail, it's a bit silly. Especially when it might not be possible to be accurate to the mm, but the officials behave is if the technology is already that accurate. The trouble is we don't believe them.

Associate
VAR is good for correcting obvious mistakes, remember forest losing points due to a handball goal near end of last season - no VAR in championship, luckily it didnt effect promotion relegation. Then watching the 2nd Division playoff final won by penalty that was'nt a foul & wasnt inside the box, a decisive goal that could've been ruled out if there was VAR.

For offsides the moment they freeze the frame & draw the lines are marginal, i'd like to see rule if the lines are close enough to touch the attacking side gets the advantage.

Associate
I actually don't think VAR is as big a problem as people make out, but one thing I don't like is when they spent like 2mins+ analysing. If it takes more than 60s then stay with the on field decision as it can't be a "clear and obvious" error.

My two cents - it should be like Cricket/NFL, where if the offside isn't clear the decision 'stands' as found by the officials. Hopefully the increase in thickness of the arbitrary 'line' they use will provide more benefit of the doubt to the attacker. It was never meant to be used to determine whether a finger/toe was offside, but rather if a player was clearly offside and simply missed by officials (such as on free kicks).

My main bug bear though is the number of frames per second they have on their cameras is such that it makes it very difficult to determine when the ball left the passing player's foot.

Back
Top Bottom