1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vauxhall astra alternative

Discussion in 'Motors' started by cyborg, 1 Feb 2006.

1. cyborg

Wise Guy

I've posted loads of threads before about a new car, and still i have my 1995 1.4 8v astra. Paying so much for the insurance that i can't save up for another car, so im going to stop the insurance and save up for a new car in the summer. I liked the astra, yea the 1.4 8v are really slow, but i learned everything i needed to know about them, and they were easy to fix and reliable.

So i was thinking of going for a mk4 astra, 1.6 16v, give me alternatives, cars need to be around £2500.

2. Morba

Caporegime

focus.

there is a shocking amount of focus's available for under 2500 now!

3. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Shocking price for a focus i still think of them as new.

AT reveals that your 2500 notes will get you a 130k S - T plate - Nice :cool:

4. cyborg

Wise Guy

Hmm so thats it, focus and no others. I thought someone would have another suggestion.

5. cymatty

Capodecina

Saxo vtr, cheap to repair fairly economical and not to bad insurnace. :)

1999 CITROEN SAXO 1.6i VTR 3dr Hatchback, 46,000 miles, Black, 46k, 1 owner from new, Full Service History, Toad alarm, remote central locking, electric windows, alloy wheels, Sunroof, T&T, excellent . . . . (private)
    £2,500
    20miles

Last edited: 2 Feb 2006
  6. saitrix

Sgarrista

Focus 1.6/1.8/2.0 Zetec with Climate Pack. :)

7. cyborg

Wise Guy

What is 'Climate pack'?

I did think of the saxo VTR, but i prefer the medium sized cars, and i also am wary of the image of it. In my area it would become a possible target to be stolen also.

8. cymatty

Capodecina

Ah ok cool, you will get a newer one with less milage etc than the focus, but i can see the size and image issues. :(

9. saitrix

Sgarrista

Climate pack has air con, heated front windscreen, heated washer jets and heated mirrors.

10. cyborg

Wise Guy

Heated front screens and washer jets :O i never even knew you could get such things!

11. Morba

Caporegime

how about heated key locks (not on fords)?

12. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

You will get more Astra for your money as the Focus holds onto its value far better

£2500 should get you a '99 car with sensible mileage

Don't get the 1.6 8v Astra though - it's awful. 15bhp less than the 1.4 16V, thirstier, rougher engine, slower - it's not worth it

The Focus is a nice car. You could also look at a Leon/Golf/Almera (!)/Corolla (!)/Megane/Xsara/306/Bravo/Brava/Civic

IMHO the best are the Focus and Astra

13. Nimzicki

Mobster

1.6 16v Mitsubishi Colt, for 2.5k you can get the mirage version with side skirts and front splitter, just something a bit different to think about. Not the fastest 1.6's around but good looking and reliable, insurance is pretty good too :)

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Citroen Xsara VTR - 1.8 16v, Coupe, 0-60 9 seconds, climate control and rain sensing wipers.

15. cyborg

Wise Guy

I really like the xsara 1.6VTR (cheaper on insurance. However it only seems like the facelift model of the VTR has the 0-60 below 10 seconds, if i am to believe parkers, and these seem to be hard to get for that price range.

I also like how the colt looks, but then, its a Mitsubishi, doesn't that mean expensive parts?

I just can't see myself driving a focus, or Astra again, id rather not have one, I'd like to drive down the street and people recognize my car because its at least a little unique.

I think i will wait untill a nice VTR comes up for sale, whats the interior like on these cars, hard to find pics of it.

16. Sone

Sgarrista

Perodua Nippa?

17. MikeWarner

Associate

How about a 1.6 astra? There is a big difference in power betweent the 1.4 and 1.6. Or do what my mate did with his 1.4 Astra - he fitted a 156bhp 2.0 16v engine and it shifts now (although insurance would not be good!). Have a look at the link in my signature for more Vauxhall related crap. :)

18. AndrewP

Mobster

Should be some pictures somewhere in here: http://www.xsarasportsclub.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=1

Feel free to ask any questions over there aswell :)

19. cyborg

Wise Guy

I fitted a 2.0 8v with 130bhp, and the f16 gearbox, but, the brakes for some reason screwed up, and even after changing absoloutly everything, still didn't work right, so i gave up on it, too high insurance anyway. After the amount of trouble i had with it, and the amount of work i put into it, my confidence for working on cars is shattered.

that Perodua Nippa is one ugly mofo.

20. MikeWarner

Associate

cyborg - the bleed nipples should be at the top of the caliper, not the bottom. ;)