• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA 64 or RTX 2070

Associate
Hey,

Just trying to decide whether to get a RTX 2070 for £460 or a RX Vega 64 for £360. Now I realise the value in the Vega 64 but I have a G-sync monitor so I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've never owned a AMD card before so I'm slighty hesitant but the price difference is too large to ignore.

Thanks for any replies :)

Soldato
I'd say Gsync is worth paying extra for, and ultimately 2070 is overall faster, especially below 4K. In fact, I'd say just get a 2060 if you aren't talking about 4K. Performance is close enough to the V64, as is the price.

Note: In reality the performance difference in this video isn't quite correct, as the V64 has a lot more life in it from tweaks than a 2060, but you get the gist.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Hey,

Just trying to decide whether to get a RTX 2070 for £460 or a RX Vega 64 for £360. Now I realise the value in the Vega 64 but I have a G-sync monitor so I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've never owned a AMD card before so I'm slighty hesitant but the price difference is too large to ignore.

Thanks for any replies :)

If you are not in a hurry, then I advise to wait a few weeks if you can. AMD are soon going to be announcing their plans with their Navi cards and the rumour is that NVidia is preparing a RTX 2070ti and price cuts across the range to combat AMD.
Bottom line is the GPU landscape is about to change, for good or ill we don't know yet, but it is close enough that if you can wait I would.

Soldato
Unfortunately there's really isn't a choice- you HAVE to cough up the extra and go with 2070 for getting sync support.

It's why it's not really a good idea to buy into proprietary tech or ecosystem, and you would then become subject to being forced to pay whatever price the company dictate. You already paid extra when buying the Gsync monitor, now you have to pay extra again to buy the Nvidia card.

£460 for the 2070 seem like terrible value for the performance you get now that we are almost already in mid 2019. AMD's Navi will be out soon and most likely offer comparable performance at a lower price point (probably similar to the current Vega64 price point), but you still won't be able to use Gsync as that's a Nvidia proprietary feature.

Soldato
Note: In reality the performance difference in this video isn't quite correct, as the V64 has a lot more life in it from tweaks than a 2060, but you get the gist.
The core clock of the Vega64 on this video getting throttled like no tomorrow hovering between 1499 and 1580MHz wth lol

My Vega64 pretty much stay at constant 1580-1632MHz and the only time I get less than that is because of being bottlenecked by my 2500K :rolleyes:

Soldato
The core clock of the Vega64 on this video getting throttled like no tomorrow hovering between 1499 and 1580MHz wth lol

My Vega64 pretty much stay at constant 1580-1632MHz and the only time I get less than that is because of being bottlenecked by my 2500K :rolleyes:

Tbf stock is stock. AMD did it to themselves. I think so long as it's in the 1500s that's fair, as even with a oc/uv nitro+ holding >1600 is not a given depending on the game & resolution.

Soldato
Rip the band-aid off right now, sell the GimpSync monitor that you were suckered into buying and buy a FreeSync one. Then you're completely vendor-agnostic from now on, including when Intel enter the graphics card market.

That's my plan anyway. :p

Soldato
Tbf stock is stock. AMD did it to themselves. I think so long as it's in the 1500s that's fair, as even with a oc/uv nitro+ holding >1600 is not a given depending on the game & resolution.
While I agree it's no excuse for AMD for not fine-toned the settings for the stock performance, but on the flip side of the coin Nvidia can also easily look at the general published performance for the Vega64, and just clock whatever speed they require to be x% faster than the Vega64, so "stock" vs "STOCK" is not exactly the end all be all comparison. It is basically a bit like comparing the 7970 vs 680 vs 7970 "GHz Edition" vs 770 vs 280x back then, with both camps just clocking their card to whatever clock speed needed at a later date to claim they got a faster card ("at stock").

Associate
2070. If the monitor was v-sync, then the cheaper option would be worth.
The 64, if as my short-lived 56 runs very hot and consumes quite a lot, another point for the 2070. As I never owned a 64, won't be putting much criticism a out it, but the 56, I sold after a month.

Associate
if I have a Dell S2719DGF and need to upgrade graphics in prep for VR later this year AND having only been an NVidia boi for many years. Should I sensibly stick with a 2060/2070 or opt for the Vega64. Need to sort by mid June for kids birthdays.
I own the same monitor. Tried the lesser Vega 56 nitro. Sold it after a month. To Tolivery good fps, the card after many, many adjustments, was consuming between 200/215W and boiling the whole case. Went for the RTX2080. An overkill to the Vega 56, I know, but manage to get the same performance, capping the fps to the same level as the Vega was delivering, and as the GPU wasn't being pushed at all, was running really cool, and consuming between 80/100W. Doesn't seems a lot, price wise, as I don't play for long hours, not a deal breaker, but the heating and consequently the noise of the fans at higher speed, yes, it's day and night.
The RTX should be fully compatible with your monitor, the fact that is a fast card, will make use of the monitor's resources, and for VR, should be a great card.
One friend bought the 2070 and is really happy with it. At least one hour a day trying to convincing me how great it is.

Back
Top Bottom