• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Venerable old 1155 i3 struggling with 4K, options?

Associate
A couple of years back when agglomerating bit for my media centre I bought an old 1155 CPU/mobo combo at a knock down price. It's an old i3 3220 (Hyperthreaded Dual Core) & a cheapo h61 motherboard, and after I popped an old 7950 in there 'twas all I needed at the time as the media centre was for light gaming and streaming/watching shizzle only.

I've just got a bigass 65" 4K tv though and as soon as I try to put 4k content on it (mainly youtube/netflix at the moment) CPU usage pops up to 100% and the video chugs like my old housemate attempting the Yard of Ale challenge.

with 1155 as a socket so damn old my options are pretty limited, is there any scope for putting in a more meaty CPU or should I just retire the damn thing and get a modern I3 cpu/mobo or similar?

Soldato
for 4k decode on Netflix you have to use kaby lake, everything else is blacklisted.
For local 4k content (discs,hdd images etc) you can use Kodi and a cheap gpu 1050/polaris will decode 4k content with your current system setup.

Soldato
I've given up on h265 even lower res as it's just too demanding on my old ancient kit. I stick to h264. It seems like if I was interested in upgrading I'd have to jump to kaby.

Will it do the same with kaby Pentium?

Soldato
We can hope that Netflix and other streaming services will allow Gpu's to decode the media in the future.
But currently this is Microsoft and Intels way of forcing people onto Windows 10 + Edge and Kaby Lake via Netflix

Yeah the Kaby-pentiums can decode 4k h.265 too, not sure if Celeron can but it uses the same hd610 so it should be able to.

Soldato
Get £40 amazon fire tv box - will play 4k just fine. Tbh even your TV should have netflix/amazon. My 4k Sammy can, also will play movies from storage.

You won't be gaming on 4k without £300 gpu and i7/ryzen probably

Back
Top Bottom