Very loud rattling noise???

Soldato
You'd have to open it up and just replace it, but you'd void the warrenty so not a good idea unless it was out of warrenty.

It probably a bearing failer in the fan causing the sound.

Soldato
I'd say it's a bearing too.

You could always try turning the PSU on whilst it is out of the case and rotating it around in different directions. If it is something slightly touching the blades, it may get dislodged.

Soldato
OP
Right an update on this matter.

I RMA'd it a few weeks ago and much to my disbelief royal mail took 10 days when sent by Special Delivery! (damn strikes)

It arrived last week and has been tested for an hour yet no problem has been diagnosed!!!

I am 100% sure it is the PSU the noise only stops when the PSU fan is physically stopped! I have had the PSU out on my hand with the system on to rule out a rattling case yet the noise still goes on so i know that it isnt that.

I managed to persuade the guys to test it for longer as it can occur after longer usage so i am hoping this will provoke the problem as i do not want to pay £20 somthing for a return when the device is faulty!

What you guys reckon? Am i going mad?

Soldato
OP
Right i am absolutely livid!

I have to say from my experience with OcUK RMA it is appauling!

I sent the part back and guess what there was no sound apprently so they sent it back to me charging me again for the postage totally £40 there and back!!!

I get it back wear it in for a few days and it has just started rattling again!!

I told the man on the phone that this thing needs testing for a bit longer than an hour so i think it was tested all in all for 1-3 hours which is just not enough i now have a duff component and i dont know what to do with it.

Where do i stand with this? I am not happy!

Soldato
You get to phone up and try to remain calm. I'd consider holding the phone against the psu while it's rattling. Put it in very simple terms; the bearing in the psu fan is failing, this is evidenced by a rattling noise after several hours of operation, which ceases if the fan is physically stopped. This is very simple to test for and you are enraged that "insert name of tester" failed to spot it, and will hold ocuk liable for every component damaged when the psu fan fails and psu consequently fails.

Escalate to manager if required, you're likely to get all costs refunded to you. Given you're trying to replace the faulty psu with an identical one it's unlikely that you've decided to waste your own time and money on sending a working one back.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom