• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Very out of date with the current GPU competition, where to start?

Associate
I haven't paid any attention to the PC parts market since late 2017, as such I know literally nothing in regards to the current state of NVIDIA vs AMD. I've seen my AMD stock rise and rise which leads me to think they're coming on par with NVIDIA at the least but it's all pretty unclear and to be honest; I don't even know where to start looking to catch up the 3 years I've missed.

So, the controversial question; AMD or NVIDIA?
The second question; where should I start looking to get informed?
The third; In another thread where I asked about upgrades to my PC in general I was told to look at the 5700XT or 2070 Super. If going with AMD is it then worth going full AMD and getting an AMD CPU too?

Many questions.

Associate
in terms of CPU and price/perf id certainly advise on a Ryzen CPU

GPU, is probably entirely dependent on budget. Sub £200 i think you'll be OK buying now with either one of the 1660 cards or a second hand Vega card, as i cant see there being much of a disruption to the lower end of the market.

+£300 id say wait and see what happens in the coming months.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help.
We won’t know the answers to the first question until new cards from both sides launch in the next couple of months.
You're right, though this point is always true as new cards are always on the horizon.
If I was to buy what's available today which company tops out in your opinion?

Associate
OP
in terms of CPU and price/perf id certainly advise on a Ryzen CPU

GPU, is probably entirely dependent on budget. Sub £200 i think you'll be OK buying now with either one of the 1660 cards or a second hand Vega card, as i cant see there being much of a disruption to the lower end of the market.

+£300 id say wait and see what happens in the coming months.
Budget is ~£1000 for new parts in general so £300 for gpu isn't out of the question.

Soldato
1) It's a matter of choice based on needs/wants. AMD has more value-oriented GPUs but they lack DirectX 12 Ultimate features. Nvidia has higher-end GPUs and while their RTX 2000 GPUs have DX12U, they are more expensive. Important to know - new Nvidia cards will be announced in less than 2 weeks.
2) For performance numbers I recommend going through the reviews of each. TechPowerUp is a good general site which has at least one review of each GPU. For more in-depth info on the architectures, look at Anandtech's articles about Turing/Navi.
3) It's not particularly worth it to go full AMD, meaning there's no special advantage by having both GPU & CPU be from AMD. There are on the other hand platform advantages AMD has in the CPU space over Intel such as PCI-e Gen 4, but whether that's worth it is up for debate. And ofc there's various other differences you can look into.

Associate
OP
1) It's a matter of choice based on needs/wants. AMD has more value-oriented GPUs but they lack DirectX 12 Ultimate features. Nvidia has higher-end GPUs and while their RTX 2000 GPUs have DX12U, they are more expensive. Important to know - new Nvidia cards will be announced in less than 2 weeks.
2) For performance numbers I recommend going through the reviews of each. TechPowerUp is a good general site which has at least one review of each GPU. For more in-depth info on the architectures, look at Anandtech's articles about Turing/Navi.
3) It's not particularly worth it to go full AMD, meaning there's no special advantage by having both GPU & CPU be from AMD. There are on the other hand platform advantages AMD has in the CPU space over Intel such as PCI-e Gen 4, but whether that's worth it is up for debate. And ofc there's various other differences you can look into.
Thanks for the info mate. Very useful

Soldato
Thanks for your help.

You're right, though this point is always true as new cards are always on the horizon.
If I was to buy what's available today which company tops out in your opinion?

You’re right too in that there is always something new coming along but in this case they’re literally imminent so it would be best to wait until November / December.

Associate
OP
You’re right too in that there is always something new coming along but in this case they’re literally imminent so it would be best to wait until November / December.
Just started reading about this. I've been very much out of the loop. Interesting to get back into it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom