Vettel leaving Ferrari

Associate
Russell was F2 champion and has, so far, beaten every driver he’s been paired with, and consistently, almost embarrassingly so. When he’s tested for Mercedes he’s been very fast and consistent too. He will be a Mercedes Driver next season I’m quite sure.

Who will Russell replace? Bottas is contracted for 2021, I doubt Hamilton will leave when Mercedes are still top of their game, and with the limited changes for 2021 its almost certain the Mercedes will be the best car on the grid again.

I can't see any scenario where Russell will be a Mercedes driver in 2021.

Caporegime
Who will Russell replace? Bottas is contracted for 2021, I doubt Hamilton will leave when Mercedes are still top of their game, and with the limited changes for 2021 its almost certain the Mercedes will be the best car on the grid again.

I can't see any scenario where Russell will be a Mercedes driver in 2021.

Yup, but dollars to doughnuts, he's there for 2022.

Sorry, yes I mean 2022.

Man of Honour
The sooner they get bottas out of that seat the better. Russell needs the experience. Bottas works to keep Hamilton happy and while Mercedes win the championship comfortably. Any other scenario and he is a liability.

Associate
Can't see that happening unless Bottas goes elsewhere (why would he), or his performance is not satisfactory (it is currently). While they're almost guaranteed a WCC and WDC, Mercedes really don't have much incentive to take a chance on Russell IMO. They're just not a risk taking team.

Caporegime
Can't see that happening unless Bottas goes elsewhere (why would he), or his performance is not satisfactory (it is currently). While they're almost guaranteed a WCC and WDC, Mercedes really don't have much incentive to take a chance on Russell IMO. They're just not a risk taking team.

Because the alternative is losing their contracted Golden child to another team. Hamilton isn't getting younger; there aren't many years left in him. Mercedes will need someone to replace him when he does go.

Caporegime
Yes, it has. You don't win 4 world championships by being a mediocre driver even if you have the best car on the grid.

Since when? when you have the best car by a mile for 4 seasons you only have to beat your team mate and if you've got the whole team pulling in your direction it's even easier.

I didn't say he was mediocre, just that he's not anywhere near as good as his 4 world championships and carefully stage-managed reputation suggests. Even Jenson Button won a championship having had the best car for a season and he was nothing special pace-wise.

Caporegime
George let slip that he had a three year deal with Williams earlier this year although I'm sure as a Mercedes Driver if they wanted him they could have taken him. He will be a works Mercedes Driver in 2022, be that alongside Hamilton or not.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I doubt it would ever happen, but I'd like to see Perez go to RB in place of Albon. He'd be a solid #2, unlike Albon who's been gash.

Soldato
George let slip that he had a three year deal with Williams earlier this year although I'm sure as a Mercedes Driver if they wanted him they could have taken him. He will be a works Mercedes Driver in 2022, be that alongside Hamilton or not.

Will the Williams drivers need to sign contracts with the new team owners or have they been effectively TUPE’d?

Caporegime
Even Jenson Button won a championship having had the best car for a season and he was nothing special pace-wise.

Jenson Button was a World Championship level talent, IMO, comparable to many other single WC holders. He did beat Hamilton in one of their three seasons together, and yes it was Hamilton's worst ever season, but even so I think that counts for something. Few drivers could have beaten him even then, and in the other two seasons he wasn't thrashed by Hamilton but ran him pretty close. Not a bad record.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Even Jenson Button won a championship having had the best car for a season

That's a fascinating re-write of history there. I prefer the real history though - he had a car that was basically one huge compromise with a solitary killer feature for the first part of the '09 season, and as soon as the rest of the grid caught up it was just a car that was one huge compromise. Six inches lopped out of the back of the tub to make the Mercedes engine fit, wrong crank height, wrong CoG, overweight...it had absolutely no right to be as successful as it was, and it's a measure of both how good Button and Barrichello were and how lousy a job everyone else did in the first half of the season that they succeeded.

Caporegime
Can't fathom why they want vettel

Vettel was OK at his prime. But I don't think he was great. Maybe good.
I hope this bites RP. Its a crazy decision.

Wish someone would take albons seat.
Or is max just that good? If you out gasley back in would it jut repeat?

I can't see merc replacing Bottas. It works. It's terrible for the sport. But great for Mercedes. Bottas knows his place and doesn't cause a fuss

Caporegime

I can't see merc replacing Bottas. It works. It's terrible for the sport. But great for Mercedes. Bottas knows his place and doesn't cause a fuss

George Russell will be a Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix driver in 2022.

Soldato

Max is good but i've also seen quotes from Helmut saying that Max is getting new parts on his car that Alex isn't so read into that what you will. Honestly, if gasly goes back it will be the same situation as Alex is facing. Nothing has changed at RB and Max is their main man.

Soldato

What better way to advertise your brand and your child as a worthy driver by dragging in a 4x champion without the fire burning to the team for your child to beat. If Lance can't beat Vettel then it justifies their hiring of a 4x champion to get the best out of the car.

Back
Top Bottom