Veyron vs Elise

Permabanned
eidolon said:
Sorry, it seems that you obviously took my comment seriously.

I mistakenly thought that everyone would understand my sarcasm when i compared a 120-189BHP Elise to a 1001BHP Veyron, looks like I was wrong.

No, I knew what you meant, hence my ;)

But seriously, it would appear that some people think the Elise could well pwn the veyron in the corners. If thats the case, my MG might be in with a chance on the straights!!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Soldato
Coco said:
That said & done, I'd bet a leg that the Mclaren F1 would wipe the floor against a Veyron on UK roads, especially if traffic was present.
I'd imagine the Veyron would be so far ahead that the F1 wouldn't be able to be reasonable competition. The Veyron's traction management system (I refer to it as that, as it's simply fantastic) would mean that all those potholes, random dodgy cambers and rabbits in the road - the Veyron would fly over them with absolute ease.

Soldato
Oracle said:
No, I knew what you meant, hence my ;)

But seriously, it would appear that some people think the Elise could well pwn the veyron in the corners. If thats the case, my MG might be in with a chance on the straights!!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

I find it difficult to believe that anyone honestly believes that. Sure the Elise is an absolutely fantastic car but the Veyron has more than 5x the power of the most powerful Elise so even with a bad driver, taking it easy it would still annihiliate the Elise.

Soldato
Oracle said:
have you!? It would pwn the Elise all day every day. It has better traction being 4wd (although admittedly, not always better than RWD in the dry), it has launch control to cut any form of wheel spin, and carries 125bhp/litre.

It also weighs 1600Kg against the Elises ~700kg.

Out of interest why do you think having a higher specific power output automaticly means it's quicker?

Do you think it be quicker than e.g. an F1 car which only has 75% of the power and also dosen't have 4WD or traction control?

Soldato
That weight does, however, serve to push those enourmously wide tyres in to the ground giving the Veyron huge specific levels of grip that I can't imagine any car short of a Hummer could hope to match.

Permabanned
Dogbreath said:
It also weighs 1600Kg against the Elises ~700kg.

Out of interest why do you think having a higher specific power output automaticly means it's quicker?

Do you think it be quicker than e.g. an F1 car which only has 75% of the power and also dosen't have 4WD or traction control?

Firslty, F1 car NOT having traction control? Ummm....... :confused:

Secondly....Its .6 of a second slower than an F1 car to 60, and also has a higher rated top speed regardless of the F1s gearing. Round a track, being quicker and lighter, then yes the F1 car will pwn the Veyron. The Elise is only lighter. I dont think that having a higher output automatically means its quicker, I just thought that it would be plain obvious that an Elise would never touch a Veyron in any shape or form (especially not in comfort and equipment spec :D ).

Mega powered Elises are not able to get the traction of high output engines down efficiently, power needs to be fed in smoothly or the tail whips out. The Veyron is a case of plant and go and let the electronics to the rest!

Permabanned
Mic said:
Id love to see a McLaren F1 vs a Veyron around the track. The F1 is basically is a track car at heart (dont they race them in the states?). So she should handle fairly well and have enough speed to at least keep pace on the straights

The F1's designers have stated that it is categorically NOT a race car and that it was designed as a road car and a road car only.

*n

Soldato
Oracle said:
and also has a higher rated top speed regardless of the F1s gearing
ummm I thought a BAR F1 car had been tested for top speed and hit close to 260 with the right setup and gearing at Bonneville last year.

Associate
penski said:
The F1's designers have stated that it is categorically NOT a race car and that it was designed as a road car and a road car only.

*n
And this is not a banana, it's the bolivian navy on maneuvers in the south pacific!

Soldato
Oracle said:
Round a track, being quicker and lighter, then yes the F1 car will pwn the Veyron.

If it's quicker then..errm, it's quicker.

My point being that all those points you listed as reasons why the Veyron is so much faster than the Elise are simply not valid. Fact is the Veyron has over 1000bhp against the Elises ~120bhp.

olv

olv

Soldato
Oracle said:
Mega powered Elises are not able to get the traction of high output engines down efficiently, power needs to be fed in smoothly or the tail whips out. The Veyron is a case of plant and go and let the electronics to the rest!

Sorry but that's complete poo poo. the reason people do the honda and audi conversions is for straight line grunt that the elise as standard lacks. The reason the elise is so quick is because it is light, it can brake later and it can carry so much speed through the corners.

whether you've got 120 or 300bhp in an elise, you dont plant your foot on the exit of a corner unless you're retarded.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My first thoughts are that it's bloody great to see an owner made enough to take such an expensive car on a track, even if he did drive it like he was going shopping in it.

Ref the "own it or not". Quite clearly the Elise is going to get pasted in a straightline. Around corners and under breaking I'm not so sure.
With a decent set of tyres on the Elise, I'd expect that packing less than half the weight of the Veyron would possibly more than make up for the lack of absolute tyre width. Whilst electronic gizmos and 4wd help make the most of the traction available, you're still limited by the finite capabilities of the tyres, which are fighting against a LOT of mass.

Associate
Comon..... You cant be serious in thinking an elise can keep up with a Veyron?

The fact is this thing has 1000bhp.... its a absolute monster. The driver in that video was NOT driving at all competively. It looks like he was going for a relaxing drive, just giving it someon the straights to show you really how fast that thing is.

The 0-60 time isnt so amazing compared to like Porsche GT or a Zonda.... but its onto 100mph and 200mph total acceleration just oupaces anything.

Im sure there was a comparison that said the Veyron does 0-250 faster than the Mclaren F1 does 100-250? Something along those lines. The mclaren takes forever to get up to that speed.

Soldato
Just to add my bit, I dont think that the Veyron was being driven as hard as it could have been, and if it was, it would have left the Elise a long way behind. It isnt surprising to see the Elise keep that much speed going into the corners, as that is what it does best.
Also, the F1 was never designed as a race car, or with any motor racing intentions. It was always first and foremost a road car.

Permabanned
Dogbreath said:
If it's quicker then..errm, it's quicker.

My point being that all those points you listed as reasons why the Veyron is so much faster than the Elise are simply not valid. Fact is the Veyron has over 1000bhp against the Elises ~120bhp.

I dont understand!? In your original reply, it appeared that you were defending an Elises capabilities against a Veyron? The points i listed were quite simple. Its more powerful, it handles its power better and it can probably equal the handling of any Elise. Therefore Veyron > Elise....So yes, my points are valid!

Last edited:
Permabanned
olv said:
whether you've got 120 or 300bhp in an elise, you dont plant your foot on the exit of a corner unless you're retarded.

Which is what I was trying to say. 120bhp in a +/-700kg car is still a lot of power. The Veyron has no such problem shoving its 1000bhp through its 4 wheels thanks to all the electric Gubbins, and I promise you, I guarantee a Veyron can plant its anchors on and stop in the same distance an Elise can from the same speed. 250mph to 0 in less than 10 seconds, and Elise cant even do that from 140mph!

Back
Top Bottom