Veyron vs Elise

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Mic said:
Id love to see a McLaren F1 vs a Veyron around the track. The F1 is basically is a track car at heart (dont they race them in the states?). So she should handle fairly well and have enough speed to at least keep pace on the straights

During the Bugattis appearance on Top Gear, Clarkson said, as one of his interesting facts, that in a straight line race, you could let the McLaren get to 180 before setting off in the Bugatti and the Bugatti would still reach 200 first... is that plausible?

Lifted this from the site, some interesting facts in there...

"But again, I'm afraid, it's all a bit theoretical. In its normal configuration, the Bugatti Veyron does a piffling 370kmh, or 229.9069mph.

A downforce of 350kg sees to that, since down-force, like lift, can only be achieved at the cost of induced aerodynamic drag. For a Vmax run, a second, special key must be inserted.

This changes the parameters of the computers controlling the variable rear wing and the underbody diffusers, and reduces downforce to just 50kg. This must only be done on a road with no bends, a Bugatti engineer tells me, earnestly.

But, inevitably, there are still issues. The low rolling resistance of the specially developed Michelin tyres - 365mm section at the back, and bigger than even the Countach's fabled back boots - are said to contribute some 15kmh to the top speed quest.

But they cannot do it for long. Maybe 15 minutes. After that, they might disintegrate, and they cost £1,200 each.

Then again, at maximum speed the Veyron is consuming a litre per kilometre, so with luck you'll run out of petrol first. And at 407.5kmh, think how far you'll go in 15 minutes. I'll tell you - it's 63.302067 miles."

Soldato
Mat said:
During the Bugattis appearance on Top Gear, Clarkson said, as one of his interesting facts, that in a straight line race, you could let the McLaren get to 180 before setting off in the Bugatti and the Bugatti would still reach 200 first... is that plausible?

It was 120mph iirc. :)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Oracle said:
EDIT: Evo vs Saxo.....perrrlllleeeaaassseeee, Evo 5 for a start, and (dare I say it), the Saxo driver is the far more competent and confident driver of the two..

Did I pretend it was anything other than an Evo 5 :confused:

And yes the saxo driver is taking smoother lines and braking later into the corners but it just shows you what is possible.

Permabanned
GT3 said:
Did I pretend it was anything other than an Evo 5 :confused:

And yes the saxo driver is taking smoother lines and braking later into the corners but it just shows you what is possible.

No, what I meant was by Mitsi own admission, the Evo 5 (along with the 7) is the papiest Evo ever made (no offence, just what Mitsi would have us believe).

Associate
Straight BHP figures dont mean jack....

Its all about the POWER CURVE. Its like those stupidly powerful EVO's, massive turbos on a 2litre engine.... no power and then WHOOSH suddenly they are hitting 350+bhp and its all over...

The Veyron is like 8litres, 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.... 1000bhp and something close in torque.

Im willing to bet the reason why the veyron will destroy cars like the ccr and the porsche GT is because it has such a massive power curve which is why it gets 0-200 faster than the mclaren f1 gets from 120-200.

Associate
PMKeates said:
I'd imagine the Veyron would be so far ahead that the F1 wouldn't be able to be reasonable competition. The Veyron's traction management system (I refer to it as that, as it's simply fantastic) would mean that all those potholes, random dodgy cambers and rabbits in the road - the Veyron would fly over them with absolute ease.

penski said:
The F1's designers have stated that it is categorically NOT a race car and that it was designed as a road car and a road car only.

*n
/\ Just as the man said.

On UK B-road playgrounds, the Veyron loses out because:
The full 1,001bhp isn't possible to be exploited.
The use of quad-turbo's compromises it for overtaking.
The weight of the thing compromises it for braking & corners.
The width of the car makes it difficult to hustle on tighter roads.
The width of the A-pillars makes it difficult to turn-in on tight corners.

Apparently on a track the Veyron is supreme, with all the turbo's blowing & the horses at play it shakes off its mass & absolutely belts along.

Check out evo issue '86 where they review the Veyron on the road & track & also Gordan Murray's own observations in evo issue '87.
And to add another magical stat, the Veyron has MORE weight over it's rear-axle than the ENTIRE McLaren F1 :eek:

Also, just to add a bit of fire, Clarkson commented "I expected this road rocket to be absolutely useless in the bends but it felt like a big Lotus Elise." Hoof! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom