Vidahost cPanel vs Cloud

Associate
Hi guys,

I have a cPanel hosting account with Vidahost, and after recommending this to a friend, she signed up over the phone but to their cloud hosting package. What are the differences? Are there any benefits e.g. performance gains if I move from cPanel to cloud (or vice-versa)?

Thanks!

Soldato
Personally I find the clouds control panel perfectly adequate(other than the bug with uninstalling packages but if anything it's ascetical mainly). If anything it's probably easier than cpanel especially when it comes to multiple domains.

UI aside, the cpanel version I believe is hosted on a single server as such no failover(could be wrong). Cloud doesn't have that issue.

Only downsides I've noticed of cloud is no softaculous so some of the packages are out of date but if you use FTP and install software yourself you won't even notice it.

Personally I haven't found a reason to stay with cpanel. Everything is on their cloud platform atm.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently moved from CPanel to the cloud due to the resilience the cloud hosting is meant to provide and though the interfaces are different, functionality is pretty much the same.

Soldato
The CPU or disk performance on TSOHost's cloud service is pretty poor when it comes to using, for example, a backup/transfer plugin in Wordpress (compared to the CPanel system we used on Vidahost). It used to time out when compressing or decompressing in the Wordpress backend so I had to move our it manually using the control panel (thankfully I knew a bit more about the average Joe, so it wasn't too much of a problem, but it meant our site was down for much longer as it wasn't something I'd anticipated). That's a pretty niche problem though I guess, and our site isn't the smallest.

Generally there's no problems though. It just works, as it ought to.

Associate
OP
Yeah it looks like resilience is the advantage with their cloud vs cPanel.

I run a Wordpress site too, but I don't think I'd move to their cloud hosting if I lose performance.

Over the last 12 months, my site uptime is about 99.2% with cPanel hosting.

Soldato
I've been thinking about this recently since I'm with vidahost, but from what I gather there isn't really an advantage for the average site. The up time is pretty much 99.99% anyway, and I like cpanel.

That being said, I don't find their shared hosting particularly quick. In pagespeed test I'm getting server response times of up to 0.65 seconds. I don't know if the cloud based hosting is any better.

Their support response which used to be blisteringly fast has slowed somewhat too.

Soldato
how do you get round the uninstalling bug or is it a case of contacting tso to do it?

If you mean the one I mentioned you don't. They can't do anything their end either according to support.

The old packages won't work anyway so it's ascetical. They do actually uninstall but still show as installed.

I'm not having any issues with support 9/10 times they'll reply within 6 hours via email. Haven't really ever had to use it.

Hmm noticed the initial response time can be a bit slow(on cloud)but to be fair we're paying little and getting a reasonable amount of resources. All my sites are small enough the response time doesn't really matter as there's not much to load. If I really needed faster responses I'd be looking at a vps or dedicated rather than shared hosting.

Back
Top Bottom