Video Editing Backups and Edit Drives

Associate
Hi Guys,

So I work in video production I need some advice from people who know about storage.

At the moment all of my video rushes are stored on a WD 4tb USB 3 hard drive. This works and its ok to edit from.

However I need a few things to improve the situation.

I need a back up of some sort. Drives die and while most of the footage I store is old you never know when it might be needed again so would hate to lose it.

I also edit video from the drive so it has a hard life.

I would like some advice on a system that would allow me to store my video files for easy access as well as have a redundant system incase a drive dies.

In a perfect world something like an SSD for a main edit drive for speed to keep the video files I am editing on and then a backup system for storage. At the moment my 4tb drive is almost full so need something with a good chunk of space and I dont want to really on a single drive so I guess a mirrored system would be good.

I would like to be able to log my footage to the "Edit drive" work on it and then be able to send it to a back up or storage drive once I am finished with it.

I welcome any advice and hope I have explained myself ok.

BTW my main edit computers are Mac's if that changes anything.

Thanks for the help
Alex

Edit-

So I have done some looking around at the moment I am thinking about a Samsung 850 PRO 1tb as an edit drive with just the video files on it. I already have a Crucial SSD as a boot drive but its nothing amazing.

I am then looking for a storage drive with a raid set up so it will make a duplicate of everything automatically.

If their is a better option happy to here it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom