Video Editing/game build under £1000

Associate
I've been looking at upgrading an old desktop I've had, unused, at my parents house and thinking of bringing it home and building a video editing/gaming setup as I'm fed up editing on a laptop!
I also get the spare room to myself

I'll mainly be using it for video editing (some 4k but not much), some photo retouching and a little gaming at 1080p only.

From my old setup I have:

Case: Fractel Design R2 Black Pearl
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P7 850w
SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 128GB
Monitor: Samsung SM2494HM 1080p

I'll be keeping the above and replacing the SSD after the new year if I run out of space using it as a scratch disk. I may also get a smaller case later on so will probably want a mATX or even mITX board.

So, I need a mATX/mITX board that has an M.2 nvme slot for a future SSD and one that preferably has WiFi built in. A bonus would be supporting 64gb or ram too but I think 32gb is enough for me.

I need 32gb or ram and a CPU/GPU that plays well with DaVinci Resolve and gets decent frame rates in most games at 1080p.

For storage I was thinking at least a 4tb HDD and if I can keep within budget 2 of them in raid 1 for a bit more security.

Any help would be appreciated! It's a good 8 years since I've done my own build and I'm a little out of the loop!

Soldato
@CSlater

resolve will eat anything you can throw at it !

friend did the new Morrison's advert on it using dual 1080ti's and ryzen 1700 :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £988.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

then you can move into itx case like NZXT H200 at a later point in time
board has best wifi ou get get pretty much without spending over £100 on a wifi card​

Soldato
If you are throwing that much at the GPU the RTX 2070 is the better option which is about 25% faster using DResolve than the 1070Ti, but cost £70 more.

Other than that pretty sold spec.

Soldato
If you are throwing that much at the GPU the RTX 2070 is the better option which is about 25% faster using DResolve than the 1070Ti, but cost £70 more.

Other than that pretty sold spec.

Nice , think 2070 going for £500

Heard rumors of developers coding for Tensor cores to improve performance down the line. Taking advantage of Adobe's slow hardwarw tech progress

Soldato
Nice , think 2070 going for £500

Heard rumors of developers coding for Tensor cores to improve performance down the line. Taking advantage of Adobe's slow hardwarw tech progress

Palit cards can be had for £459, plenty in stock if you around.

Tensor cores will certainly be taken advantage of by the more agile software developers more quickly, and I think Resolve will be one of them.

Soldato
Palit cards can be had for £459, plenty in stock if you around.

Tensor cores will certainly be taken advantage of by the more agile software developers more quickly, and I think Resolve will be one of them.

It's a shame Adobe carries souch weight , just like intel and Nvidia . People refuses to switch even though they can get something better or cheaper or free :(

Guessing in theory RT cores would be used for artificial lighting maybe, finally put it to some good use haha

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. Some of the stuff in that list is what I was looking at. I think having 2 4TB hdds in raid 1 is essential for me until I get an external backup drive so with a little tweaking I've come up with this:

Total: £944.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I've upgraded the CPU from the 1700 and downgraded the GPU so I can fit in the two hdds into my budget. I've heard that CPU performance is more important than GPU speeds for video editing (I've found that with Adobe Premiere) but not sure if Davinci Resolve utilizes the GPU better.

Will there be a huge difference in games between the 1070ti and RX 580 if I'm just gaming at 1080p? Thanks!​

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. Some of the stuff in that list is what I was looking at. I think having 2 4TB hdds in raid 1 is essential for me until I get an external backup drive so with a little tweaking I've come up with this:

Total: £944.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I've upgraded the CPU from the 1700 and downgraded the GPU so I can fit in the two hdds into my budget. I've heard that CPU performance is more important than GPU speeds for video editing (I've found that with Adobe Premiere) but not sure if Davinci Resolve utilizes the GPU better.

Will there be a huge difference in games between the 1070ti and RX 580 if I'm just gaming at 1080p? Thanks!​

Rx 580 will play games great at 1080p 60fps - 80 and allows you to buy a good Freesync 1080p 144hz monitor for £200.
The 1070ti would absolutely smash the rx580 at 1080p and would be used for 144hz 1080p monitors or 1440p - if not your wasting a lot of cash with the card not being used to its full potential

If your using resolve...GET the 1070ti ! Use the build I quoted for you as you'll be losing performance with the rx580 ! Again most use 1080ti with that program , specially at 4k ! It eats hardware.
I listed 1700 due to it having a cooler, 1700x/1800x don't, and you can manually overclock the 1700 to match , with an aftermarket cooler anyways

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh Ah...ok. If the gpu is that essential I'll have to wait until some offers come on to keep under my £1000 budget as I need the 2 4tb drives as the storage is essential for me. Thanks for the help!

NAS ?
Only deal I know coming from nvidia will most likely be game packages in 2-3 weeks , not so much money off unless a Vendor decides to add discount

Soldato
I bought two recert WD Cloud 12TB External drives, for £199 each then just ripped the drives out, the drives show full warranty with WD, £400 for 24TB's of red drives is good. ;)

Back
Top Bottom