1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

virgin active any good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThriceNightly, 19 May 2006.

1. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

after a few months break i'm looking to rejoin the gym. was looking to go back to cannons health club but virgin active has also opened up near me.

can anyone reccomend?

2. Bes

Soldato

I went to a Virgin Active when I stayed in Johannesburg. I would imagine they're the same everywhere, they are very very nice but VERY expensive!!

3. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

joberg haha the ex girlfriend used to go to that one too!

...expensive = good keep the rif raf out :p

i should imagine that it will prolly be similar price to what i was paying at cannons.

just wondering if anyone can comment on the uk ones. my local one appears to be a converted esporta....guess i will have to go for a demo

4. singist

Mobster

Can't beat an active virgin .... or so I'm told ... :p

5. Dreadi

Soldato

you could have a go

6. FishFluff

Soldato

Go on then, I'll give you a serious reply.

I used to be a member at the one in Leeds. My membership got me access to both a city centre gym through the week and one slightly outside the town centre any time I liked for just under 50 notes a month.

The gym was always uber clean, nice new equipment, technogym workout recordy things, lovely sauna/spa/swimming pool, etc. The only things I'd fault it on are a rather average selection of free weights and the personal trainers weren't overly helpful after your initial induction unless you were paying them £40/hour. Only reason I left was to join an even nicer gym using our corporate discount scheme :cool:.

7. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

8. Locrian

Wise Guy

I am a member of my local cannons, and i have to say it is bloomin awesome, esspecially next to the gym in the local leisure centre. The gym itself stocks good equipment, and not the machines that just dont work. There are loads of session classes, its well maintained, cleaned and a great atmosphere. The best thing about it though has to be the pool and sauna/steam room. Price is £60 a month, which is more than enough to keep the riff raff out, and the fitties in ;)

9. TriedandTested

Capodecina

I joined just yesterday! One i've joined has just taken over an Esporta. Seems really nice inside..not too busy and the equipment looks very new; they're also expanding the top floor quite a lot.

You're quite near me in the scheme of things..wonder if it's the same gym we're talking about?

Edit; i wouldnt really worry about 9 people complaining. The (quite lovely!) girl who showed us around made it quite clear what the different memberships entailed. :)

Last edited: 19 May 2006
  10. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

was previously a member of cannons chelmsford nice gym but fancy a change. also when i cancelled my membership i only gave 1 weeks notice and cancelled my dd (1 month is apparantly required). I have enquired about rejoining and they are insistent i pay back subs £52 plus £25 joining fee.

11. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

I am looking at Virgin Active chelmsford which up until recently was an esporta.
    they are currently offering a £10 joining fee if you bring along your cannons memembership card.....i'm going to need to test it out on an evening peak