Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I recently received a letter stating that my bill was going up again... I checked through my bills and hadnt realised it had gone up from about £31 a month (M200 only with no phone/tv) to almost £42 in a year plus the price increase which is over a 50% price increase in just over a year.. I have been out of contract for a while so called them up.. Got through to a great bloke and he said "i wont mess you about, you are out of contract so i will give you the best discount thats available!" Which was £32 a month fixed for 18 months. I even asked about my router giving poor wifi in some areas of the house and he put an order through for a Hub3 for free.. All sorted in about 30 mins.

I guess its just a crap shoot on who the call is put through to.
Just for your info there are those who have got M350 only for £24 so you could probably get M200 cheaper than £32. I'd strongly advise you to do a cancellation and wait for the call back from retentions. Chances are they should go under £30 for M200 and as it's now an 18 month contract you really do want to get it as cheap as possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just for your info there are those who have got M350 only for £24 so you could probably get M200 cheaper than £32. I'd strongly advise you to do a cancellation and wait for the call back from retentions. Chances are they should go under £30 for M200 and as it's now an 18 month contract you really do want to get it as cheap as possible.

I do wonder about trying this, but the guy was so insistent I'd have to return the hub2.5 which puzzled me given they never sent it to me in the first place. Presumably it's no good now I've agreed to £39pm

Soldato
Thanks I will look into it.

Man of Honour
What's the staff discount provided Ultimate Oompf price? I can get it for £70 a month with £100 bill credit. Just curious if the staff one is cheaper.

Soldato
What's the staff discount provided Ultimate Oompf price? I can get it for £70 a month with £100 bill credit. Just curious if the staff one is cheaper.
Do you mean prices for staff or friends and family? VM staff can get M500, 3 boxes kids,movies and sport for £15.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah. I’m sure there’s a guy in this thread that’s been offering them to members.

You can't 'offer' the staff package to anyone, it's literally for the named member of staff at the registered address, it can't even be installed at a family member's, if for example you don't live in a VM area. What someone did offer is 'mates rates' which they make £75 from you signing up for, you'd generally get a similar deal using online + Quidco and renegotiating each year.

Man of Honour
You can't 'offer' the staff package to anyone, it's literally for the named member of staff at the registered address, it can't even be installed at a family member's, if for example you don't live in a VM area. What someone did offer is 'mates rates' which they make £75 from you signing up for, you'd generally get a similar deal using online + Quidco and renegotiating each year.
Cheers. Yeah my terminology was wrong. Was inferring to the mates rates deal but it looks like my veteran discount would work out better with the bill credit.

Associate
This is incorrect you CAN offer them to i think its up to 3 friends and family, a friend of mine works for Virgin Media so was explaining that they limited as there were some offering it out to their entire street and profiting the difference in price.

Soldato
This is incorrect you CAN offer them to i think its up to 3 friends and family, a friend of mine works for Virgin Media so was explaining that they limited as there were some offering it out to their entire street and profiting the difference in price.

No, you're confusing two different things. Mates rates is the friends and family plan (as I said), each member of staff who meets the criteria (basically permanent contract with VM or selected partners) gets up to 99 mates rates offers, they can be applied to existing or new accounts, if it's a new customer the staff member gets £75 bonus paid with in 60 or 90 days iirc (it's after the satisfaction guarantee expires and the first payments have been made), you receive the discount for as long as you're a customer, so it's a great 'lazy' option. This is why if your social media has a load of current VM staff on it, you'll regularly see posts offering a cheap mates rates deal and we've even seen it on here - it's because it's worth 7.5K to them. Existing customers get them nothing, this is how they 'profit' as you describe, VM can't be that against it as it's still the current policy (as of about 15 minutes ago). This is totally different to the actual staff package that is only ever available to the contracted staff member at the property registered for correspondence.

Associate
Instructed them to cancel my account mid January due to a price hike and ongoing network issues in my area since last summer.

The network issues are probably just over utilisation, so won't be anything they actually address and they just keep saying someone's looking into it and moving the resolution date.

Haven't had a call from retentions yet. I'm not actually going to move as I can't afford not to have the internet even briefly at the moment due to work and no 4/5g signal in my house.

Has anyone had a call from retentions in the past month?

Man of Honour
Ultimate Oompf is now showing as having M600, but 350 is still the fastest standalone product. I would imagine that'll be updated this week.

Soldato
no 2nd callback from virgin yet. but got a call from cityfiber today telling me how its going down. next week they come to do the external work then they come back on the 3rd march which is my booking date to do the internal work.

Soldato
no 2nd callback from virgin yet. but got a call from cityfiber today telling me how its going down. next week they come to do the external work then they come back on the 3rd march which is my booking date to do the internal work.

Didn’t you tell them not to bother? Just if a customer said that, it’ll be noted and ideally anyone reviewing the notes before doing an outbound wouldn’t bother.

Ultimate Oompf is now showing as having M600, but 350 is still the fastest standalone product. I would imagine that'll be updated this week.

Still depends on the original franchise area - M600 isn’t available in all areas yet, but the rollout is a lot easier than Gig1 for example.

Back
Top Bottom