Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Huh weird, I can't access my SH3 admin page. My history shows I used 192.168.100.1 as a previous attempt but it's not working. Have tried on WiFi and Ethernet, it's in modem mode.

Nope. I can get on my Unifi admin page with 192.168.1.1. Not sure what's changed to block the SH admin page.

Most routers won't route a local IP (192.168.100.1 is correct) to WAN port without a suitable rule in place to pass it.

Soldato
Most routers won't route a local IP (192.168.100.1 is correct) to WAN port without a suitable rule in place to pass it.

From what I've seen, most routers don't care if the destination IP address is an RFC1918 address or not, and will just shove it down the default route.

I don't think I've seen one that'll blackhole RFC1918 traffic without a specific policy or rule being put in place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Huh weird, I can't access my SH3 admin page. My history shows I used 192.168.100.1 as a previous attempt but it's not working. Have tried on WiFi and Ethernet, it's in modem mode.

Nope. I can get on my Unifi admin page with 192.168.1.1. Not sure what's changed to block the SH admin page.

Is your SH online? They are designed not to allow a connection on the admin port if they are not on the VM network. It's to block a historical attack vector when you can grab the modem and inject a new config file before it goes online.

I had a SH2 exhibit the same behaviour once even when it was online, and VM just sent a new one out. Support didn't even bother to diagnose the situation.

Caporegime
Mine is 192.168.100.1 in modem mode but takes a while to connect, tried a reset?
Is your SH online? They are designed not to allow a connection on the admin port if they are not on the VM network. It's to block a historical attack vector when you can grab the modem and inject a new config file before it goes online.

I had a SH2 exhibit the same behaviour once even when it was online, and VM just sent a new one out. Support didn't even bother to diagnose the situation.
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try a reset first, thing is since we upgraded to the 350/35 package (last summer) I have definitely assessed the admin page on the SH a few times.

Soldato
Well my VM contract was approaching renewal time and I got an email saying they wanted to hike my price from £33 a month for 100mb/phone/basic tv to £62.50 a month for 18 months.

Spent an hour on hold to them only to get a guy who could only drop it to £58 - "that's the best I can do, sorry mate" :rolleyes:. Told him that wasn't good enough and got put on hold again for another hour before I finally managed to wangle a small price increase of only £6 a month! So I got it for £39 a month. I wasn't over the moon at £39 but working from home all day every day we need a reliable connection, and it is at least that.

Can't believe the ridiculous price rise they originally quoted me and the amount of time they expect people to wait on hold. The only thing I can think is that they are price gouging and hoping people don't believe they can get a better deal, so are just willing to put up with paying the vastly inflated prices.

Soldato
usually 12ms on speedtest.net
however iv noticed its slower on fast.com.
something fishy here speedtest.net seems to always connect to a virgin server. i suspect that server is optimised to do speedtests and give priority for virgin users.

speedtest.net seems to hit 380mbit download
fast.com always hits 200 never more.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try a reset first, thing is since we upgraded to the 350/35 package (last summer) I have definitely assessed the admin page on the SH a few times.
silly question but are you plugged into the right port? Modem mode only allows access in one port (bottom one on the hub2ac)

Soldato
something fishy here speedtest.net seems to always connect to a virgin server. i suspect that server is optimised to do speedtests and give priority for virgin users.

sounds believable. years back (2008) on BT they did the same - speed tests regularly said I was getting 6-7mbit (8mb was good back then) but in actual usage <1.5Mb as iplayer stuttered and buffered so you could tell it wasn't getting the required bandwidth. Throttling ahoy on their top tier "gaming connection". It's why I've never used BT since. Cancelling that contract was the best feeling.

Permabanned

Check how many parallel connections you have set on fast.com

If I change mine to max:30 then I get the full speed testing on virgin.

Soldato
Need to exit from Vodaphone in 2 days, did want virgin media but in the process of flat hunting too, if we moved and the place didn't have virgin media would I still have to pay the contract or find someone to take over it at the current address?

Associate
Called virgin media today to see if they would offer me a better deal, they offered £50 a month for 350mb with their standard sim plan. Currently paying £47. Thought it was still expensive so i decided to see if i can call their bluff and said please give my 30 days notice and cancel which they have done. Hoping they call back with a better deal. But who knows.

Back
Top Bottom