Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Who knows.... They certainly don't, since they keep giving me a new guaranteed resolution date every 2 weeks.

If you look in their forums there's loads of people with BQM's like mine. I think it's just oversubscription and them waiting till utilisation drops off after lockdown.

I've been working at home since March and it has been getting progressively worse in this Lockdown. I need internet access all the time for my job and spend at least half my working day on video calls, usually facilitating so I need a stable connection.

While that’s a pretty bad BQM and certainly needs urgent investigation, ISP data usage increases significantly year on year, it does the same when you upgrade your customers packages to a higher speeds (M500 to M600 for example) and launch a gigabit service. I’d go as far as to say those are the exact opposite of what anyone trying to hide or ride out a high % of utilisation/over subscription would do as it would just draw attention to the issue.

Soldato
Hmm if internet is faster doesnt that mean data retrieval is faster and then time to idle is quicker freeing up more average bandwidth on the network overall resulting in less congestion?

Soldato
Just spoke to Virgin today about leaving due to due to the price increase. Currently paying ~£40.50 for 350 but due to increase by ~£3.50. On the phone an automated message offered to reduce the bill by £3.50 for 6 months so essentially putting my price increase on hold. Spoke to an agent and the best they could offer me was £43 for the rest of my contract which is about 13 months. Thats with phone line that I told them I don't want or use but without the phone I was told I would have to pay £56 :confused:

Anyway I told them I wanted to leave and now in my 30 day period. My only concern now is that they won't be able to call me back for a better deal because I don't have a phone connected even though I have a VM mobile. Another concern is tomorrow is the last day to complain about my price increase so if I go past that day I'll probably lose my chance to get my increase postponed for 6 months.

Can't get fttp where I live so feels like Virgin have me by a balls :eek: :p

Soldato
Hmm if internet is faster doesnt that mean data retrieval is faster and then time to idle is quicker freeing up more average bandwidth on the network overall resulting in less congestion?

Only if you assume data volume stays constant, people’s wants aren’t infinite and that the issue was they were on-net bandwidth limited to begin with, all of which we know aren’t really true. That’s before you get to peering and on/off net traffic and the peaks being tied to worldwide events such as game releases/updates and OS patches.

Soldato
Just spoke to Virgin today about leaving due to due to the price increase. Currently paying ~£40.50 for 350 but due to increase by ~£3.50. On the phone an automated message offered to reduce the bill by £3.50 for 6 months so essentially putting my price increase on hold. Spoke to an agent and the best they could offer me was £43 for the rest of my contract which is about 13 months. Thats with phone line that I told them I don't want or use but without the phone I was told I would have to pay £56 :confused:

Anyway I told them I wanted to leave and now in my 30 day period. My only concern now is that they won't be able to call me back for a better deal because I don't have a phone connected even though I have a VM mobile. Another concern is tomorrow is the last day to complain about my price increase so if I go past that day I'll probably lose my chance to get my increase postponed for 6 months.

Can't get fttp where I live so feels like Virgin have me by a balls :eek: :p

They'll use what contact details they have for you if they feel like getting in touch.

I was woken up by VM calling on my not VM mobile the other day for the 3rd attempt to get me to uncancel stuff. They also sent an email. Presumably I gave them those details at some point.

Soldato
They'll use what contact details they have for you if they feel like getting in touch.

I was woken up by VM calling on my not VM mobile the other day for the 3rd attempt to get me to uncancel stuff. They also sent an email. Presumably I gave them those details at some point.

I have no idea what contact number they have for me. As said above I don't have a phone connected and I don't think my Virgin Mobile and Broadband accounts are linked. I've calling them in the past to link but they weren't interested.

Can you link your mobile and broadband accounts to get a discount?

Soldato
I think whatever deal I sort of haggled last time (they never called me back when I said I want to leave) is about to end.

Presumably this is pretty pants?! Especially if it goes to £70 next month.

Really tempted to switch to BT, as I can get decent TV with Sky cinema, 100mb broadband for £55 a month.

Soldato
Called to query my price hike from 46 to 49 for 200mbps and the lady said there is nothing we can do, said I can get 300 for 42 from EE and she just continued to say no, said OK then I guess I'll have to look in to leaving and hung up.

I'm so rubbish at arguing stuff but I can't be putting up with the price so I guess I'll have to call to cancel and hope they offer something that way, I can't possibly go without broadband though so I have no idea about lead times if they just let me cancel... Man, I hate this dance.

Man of Honour
Called to query my price hike from 46 to 49 for 200mbps and the lady said there is nothing we can do, said I can get 300 for 42 from EE and she just continued to say no, said OK then I guess I'll have to look in to leaving and hung up.

I'm so rubbish at arguing stuff but I can't be putting up with the price so I guess I'll have to call to cancel and hope they offer something that way, I can't possibly go without broadband though so I have no idea about lead times if they just let me cancel... Man, I hate this dance.
That is a lot for 200mbit, quite a few on here are paying £30-40 for that. It is really annoying having to go through this all every year. Generally the thing to do is to phone up and go through the phone options that say about wanting to leave. When you get through to someone just politely say you would like to cancel your service. Don't give a reason why at this point. They will ask if there is a reason you'd like to leave, at this point say it is too expensive for you now to afford. They will offer a better price which you may find is low enough to accept. Make sure you know if this will mean a new contract (usually) and how long any discounts last for. No good having a 12 month contract where you only get a decent price for 3-6 months of that. If you're not happy with the price offer, just say its too much again and ask to speak to cancellations. They should give a better price. Again you can either accept this or continue to put your notice in to cancel. I believe you have to give 30 days so they shouldn't cut you off immedately or anything. Genenerally speaking people on here found they then phoned with a decent deal after a few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is a lot for 200mbit, quite a few on here are paying £30-40 for that. It is really annoying having to go through this all every year. Generally the thing to do is to phone up and go through the phone options that say about wanting to leave. When you get through to someone just politely say you would like to cancel your service. Don't give a reason why at this point. They will ask if there is a reaon you'd like to leave, at this point say it is too expensive for you now to afford. They will offer a better price which you may find is low enough to accept. Make sure you know if this will mean a new contract (usually) and how long any discounts last for. No good having a 12 month contract where you only get a decent price for 3-6 months of that. If you're not happy with the price offer, just say its too much again and ask to speak to cancellations. They should give a better price. Again you can either accept this or continue to put your notice in to cancel. I believe you have to give 30 days so they shouldn't cut you off immedately or anything. Genenerally speaking people on here found they then phoned with a decent deal after a few days.

I appreciate the guidance thank you.

Associate
Just to let every1 know, gave my 30 days notice and then today i got "the phone call"

was from a normal mobile number, not a call center.

She came right in and gave me 350mb, and sim deal with 5gb data(up from my current 2gb) all for the price of £36 for 18 months. Very happy with that, Best they could do when i wanted to cancel was £50 Down from out of contract price of £63.

Bearing in mind also i have been paying £47 for the previous 18 months with the lesser 2gb sim... So i am really quite surprised and happy with the deal.

Have yet to receive anything via email after several hours to confirm it yet though which is a little worrying. But fingers cross it comes through.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's quite on-brand for Virgin Media to have had nearly a year to get their customer support lines staffed by people working from home and to have nothing in place for them to be able to place calls to customers without presenting the mobile number they are calling from.

Soldato
It's quite on-brand for Virgin Media to have had nearly a year to get their customer support lines staffed by people working from home and to have nothing in place for them to be able to place calls to customers without presenting the mobile number they are calling from.

VM are a telecoms company, and still take twice as long as getting through to HMRC who are known to be awful and are also working from home.

Soldato
Just to let every1 know, gave my 30 days notice and then today i got "the phone call"

was from a normal mobile number, not a call center.

She came right in and gave me 350mb, and sim deal with 5gb data(up from my current 2gb) all for the price of £36 for 18 months. Very happy with that, Best they could do when i wanted to cancel was £50 Down from out of contract price of £63.

Bearing in mind also i have been paying £47 for the previous 18 months with the lesser 2gb sim... So i am really quite surprised and happy with the deal.

Have yet to receive anything via email after several hours to confirm it yet though which is a little worrying. But fingers cross it comes through.

Can you get fttp in your area?

Soldato
4th visit today by Virgin and guess what?... The cable issue I had outside still not fixed, he check his logs and can see I've been waiting since November 10th to get this sorted so I can have Virgin high speed broadband, think I'm going to phone them tomorrow and cancel my package deal with them as a new customer, since I'm still waiting for installation (4 months now with no date given). It has become more then a joke now.

I'll either stay on Plusnet slow ADSL or maybe try 4G mobile broadband, but every room I have checked only gives me 4 to 6 Mbps on 4G mobile( I presume mobile 4g phone and 4g mobile broadband will be same speed, speed test wise on same network), Plusnet I get 10 to 11 Mbps.

The guy was really shocked how long I have been waiting and why they keep sending engineers round to do the install without the outside cable on the street fixed.

Virgin service has gone downhill real fast, the installation engineer even checked up the road and found three other blockages with cables for other Virgin house customers which he can't do, the Virgin construction team have really done nothing, no wonder they are losing new and old customers, the backlog for cable repairs and installs just gets longer.

Maybe I should stay on Plusnet for a year longer and wait for 5G or BT high speed fibre to be in my area.

Any Virgin customer support reading this, no wonder you are losing customers fast.

Fun part tomorrow on the phone for probably a hour plus to cancel my order.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom