1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, 7 Mar 2007.

1. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Only first part done so far, they gonna drill through the house to get cable to the back then tack it all the way around to the rear room. 30m cable run needed. He said its a bigger than normal job due to the type of house it is but hopefully it goes to plan on the day.

2. Elevon

Mobster

Something incredible happened today, Virgin construction engineers turned up and finally FIXED my cable blockage outside, they said "you're now good to go for connection". It took them about one hour to do, so now I've only have to wait for the install date, as you know I've been waiting since November for this to be fixed and after multiple visits by Virgin install team had given up , (they could do nothing until the blockage was fixed outside).

3. xb8browney

Soldato

Excellent news

4. ahar

Wise Guy

Unfortunately, 10mbit isn't going to cut it with the load we put in it during the day at the moment

5. Journey

Sgarrista

You only get 10Mbit max from any of the four 4G providers? Seems weird, are you in a heavily congested area with very few masts? Cellmapper.net can help you look and find out if you do not know.

6. ahar

Wise Guy

Yes - the lay of the land means we only connect to one of two masts, and its seriously congested in peak time. Speed tests outside that are better - just got 19mbit on a test just now (@6.55am). Hopefully 5g will help with that so it might be a better option in future.

7. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Should get a lot better speed if you go with starlink

8. deuse

Capodecina

Have you seen the price of starlink?
    It's out of this world :)

9. ahar

Wise Guy

The point was to save money by playing cancel contract roulette with virgin (4g isn't good enough round here if it does cancel in the end), not bankrupting myself with starlink!

10. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Is there an easy (read cheap) option for extending/replacing the Coax cable from the Virgin Socket in the house?

I've just moved into a rented house, the Virgin point is next to the front door, the cables they supply with the self install kit aren't long enough to run around the stairs into the living room where I need them to be able to connect to the TV 360 Mini

11. Sp00n

Capodecina

You should be able to just replace it with a longer coax cable, people recommend WF100 spec but I have some RG6 that I used to move mine and it works fine.

I think it is also against their T&Cs to change it.

12. Caged

Capodecina

Amphenol RG6 77% tri-shield is the stuff Virgin use, with compression connectors. As long as you're not adding loads of distance to the cable you shouldn't need to mess with attenuators.

13. M4YON

Associate

Luckily I have plenty of spare cable from my installation or I'd be screwed.

14. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Thanks, ordered a pre-terminated RG6 cable online, I'm adding 3 or 4 meters of cable length.

Aware it's against T&Cs, I'm not particularly fond of paying £99 for an engineer visit for 5 Meters of cable they could chuck in the post for not a lot of money

15. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Has anyone got any links on how their new fibre to the home installations appear at the house side of things?

16. Caged

Capodecina

Some people who are far too invested in posting on the Virgin Media forums will tell you that they insist on a call out because the engineer will check the signal levels and ensure everything is within spec, but they don't seem to be able to do that for new installs so there's zero chance of them doing it after extending a cable a few metres.

17. Frozennova

Man of Honour

I know what you mean, last install I had done by an Engineer was in a new build, that already had the wall plate inside fitted etc.

Turned up plugged Router/TIVO in a left basically. Ironically, that time I ended up with a 10 meter cable after asking for two meters because the wall plate was already on the same wall I wanted everything plugged in.

Can't win

18. Elevon

Mobster

Not weird, I get good 4G signal but low speeds in ALL rooms, most of the 4G providers in London are overloaded with too many users, so your speed is very limited regardless of signal in London for the most part. Anyway my 100Mbps BB having installed by Virgin on 3rd March should be a nice upgrade from my 10Mbps with Plusnet.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2021
  19. Journey

Sgarrista

If you are in a massive city, or in this case the capital, you have a huge choice of broadband providers, and don't need to slum it with 4G/5G. If you are somewhere not so well connected and densely populated then 4G/5G is a genuine option that seems to be written off before it is even investigated fully by most people . I can get Virgin/BT, FTTC and that is great but sadly the VM's of the world don't want to compete unless they have to. FTTP due soon, so VM won't even get a look in unless they beg me to come back. :)

20. Caged

Capodecina

That's not always true either - large amounts of the capital have a choice between oversubscribed Virgin Media or ADSL.