1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, 7 Mar 2007.

1. Elevon

Mobster

You forget a few things, 5G is not in ALL areas and not on my street, also cost as well, some people will not pay over the top to get a decent 4G speed if it is available in the first place, have you seen the price of some 4G unlimited data packages, they are not all cheap.

2. Journey

Sgarrista

I didn't forget any of those things. Also 5G isn't in my area unless I use EE, and even then it is outdoor only.

Given the level of shopping around people do, it is no wonder people pay over the odds for mobile phone packages etc. There are lots of competitive unlimited data SIMs about if you do some research and look at ways of getting the best deals, the same way you would buying a landline/home broadband package, unless you are just lazy and use a comparison site., and think you are getting the best deal.

As I said previously my use case is different to a lot of people here, I need decent upload, and I get nigh on the same as I did with VM but for a lot less on my current package, download is fine too.

Obviously everyone isn't going to be in the same circumstances, but as I said people tend to write it off without testing or investigating it, as that takes time and effort which most people can't be bothered with. :)

3. Duke

Man of Honour

In the coming years 5G will certainly become a more viable alternative as the latency is pretty low compared to 4G so things which are time sensitive such as gaming, streaming etc will work better. The other thread on this is quite interesting to follow, for best results you really need an external antenna (or one in your roof space). Things like Starlink will also be an option although less so for raw download speed right now and it costly.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...adband-thread-three-ee-vodafone-etc.18917203/

Anyway being a VM thread we best not go too off topic :) I phoned up the other week and got my increase cancelled for the next two months after which I'm out of contract so can do a "fake leaving" and hope for a decent deal. The extra upload of doing from 100MB to 200MB package would be handy for work so would be good to get that in the deal.

4. Dinsey

Gangster

Yes, same here. Real pain and similar ones .

Keep adding them to spam addresses, fingers crossed they stop.

5. Journey

Sgarrista

Thanks of for pointing the thread out, didn't see it, but I wasn't looking. After all until the other day I was a VM customer. :) I have the name and number of one of the executive team now after they dealt with a complaint, and they said if I want a good deal call them back and I'll get one, even matching the £24 350Mbps deals that were being thrown around in here. Sadly as I said to them it was too little to late now as I have invested in 4G/5G hardware, and a contract.

6. Kelt

Capodecina

Me too.

So bloody annoying.

Someone should tell Norton, McAfee and whatever else these spammers are promoting that this practice dissuades me and I'm sure others from ever considering buying that product.

Can't VM block these via there IP's?

7. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Why are you using your ISP email address?

8. Gerard

Caporegime

Why not? Had it for 20+ years and been fine til just recently.

9. Duke

Man of Honour

It means you're tied into your ISP more than you need to be and as shown their spam filters are a bit rubbish :)

10. Oyeee

Associate

I'm thinking of moving back to VM and looking at 350mb package. I'm extremely happy with openreach connection because of great latency and no one complains about gaming.

Anyone with Superhub 3 advice if their routers still have the latency issue? I remember it was a huge pain for the time we were with VM. Their forums are full of complaints too.

11. Nutty_Death

Hitman

Yes my latency is awful. To the point where I'm having to take out a BT line so I can do my work video calls... Obviously it'll depend on your area.

12. Oyeee

Associate

That's disappointing to hear. It's those Puma chips that Virgin refuses to acknowledge. Sigh.

13. ChrisD.

Caporegime

It’s far more likely to be due being in a highly congested area.

14. Nutty_Death

Hitman

This. It was fine pre lockdowns

15. Gerard

Caporegime

Well its been fine for 20+ years upto about the last few weeks. I rarely ever got spam at all until just lately =/ Still on an ntlworld.com account which shows how old it is, near sure i got this around 98 or 99.

16. chroniclard

Capodecina

Mine is fine, thats with daughter/wife streaming/browsing and me and my son gaming. However I seem to be in a decent area.

17. Participant

Caporegime

The usual end of contract bill increase has come through.

£13 'loyalty discount' is ending and there's a £3.50 price rise, so that's £16.50 more per month for the same service (200Mb, talk anytime, basic TV).

I believe I'll be paying about £15 per month more than a new customer would. Let's see if they can do anything.

18. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Has anyone here switched from Sky Q to Virgin 360? How do you find the image quality difference? I've read a few forums that suggest that th 360 can be quite poor, but I'm not sure if the reports were perhaps early software releases which may have affected things.

19. Rabtech

Wise Guy

I'm a FPS gamer (BF4 etc), the son plays Roblox and the missus streams from Netflix at the same time with no issues. As mentioned above, I suspect area congestion issues. I also run the Superhub 3 in modem mode with a pfsense box, using your own router/firewall/access point is highly advisable as the Superhub 3's routing options (no DNS server running on the router, no VPN etc) and wireless is widely know to be terrible.

20. Drake5

Capodecina

Will you actually get any better gaming performance using a 3rd party router such as latency ? Or would it remain exactly the same. I'm not sure what benefits you'd get to having a 3rd party router apart from better wifi