Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It could be placebo for ethernet based gaming but I find it to be better. The way I see it, the less the Superhub has to do the better.

I currently have about 10 wifi devices and 2 ethernet devices to my superhub 3. I have tried a 3rd party router before which didn't solve any of my speed issues during peak times but I'm thinking of switching back to it as I do have a lot of things connected to the superhub 3 but yeah like I say is it really needed. I don't really have wifi issues with the superhub 3

Associate
I currently have about 10 wifi devices and 2 ethernet devices to my superhub 3. I have tried a 3rd party router before which didn't solve any of my speed issues during peak times but I'm thinking of switching back to it as I do have a lot of things connected to the superhub 3 but yeah like I say is it really needed. I don't really have wifi issues with the superhub 3

Speed issues at peak times does sound like an area congestion issue, no third party router will fix that.

Soldato
Speed issues at peak times does sound like an area congestion issue, no third party router will fix that.

Yeah, I've had various engineers out and non of them could find any problems apart from making slight adjustments. I'm fairly sure it will be congestion issues but I'm still wondering if it would be worth investing in a 3rd party router regardless, but I don't want to do it if I'm not going to see any sort of improvement by ethernet in the form of reduced ping/latency etc

Soldato
I wonder how true this is, found it online

'The SH3 had some serious issues with gaming when it first came out. These have mostly been fixed, however, it still suffers from bufferbloat.

This means when someone's utilising a decent chunk of the bandwidth (eg: downloading a film), then other packets will have increased latency (eg: gaming, voice applications, etc).'

Soldato
It’s far more likely to be due being in a highly congested area.

I'm intrigued now.

I have a 200mb connection with 3-4 people on it basically 18h/day and I think my area is mostly on phone lines not VM.

I've seen some drama about VM gear but I think it's less of an issue than other factors.

Will try graphing myself.

Associate
I held on to my previous VM modem on 200Mb, it was only when I upgraded to 350Mb that I had to take a SH3. I've not seen any massively noticeable day to day difference gaming before or after the patch that 'fixed' the SH3 Puma chipset issues. I did see the difference on the TB ping graphs though, according to today's TB ping graph I average around 18ms which is fine for me and the family. FTTC or FTTP usually give slightly lower latency, although FTTC at my property is limited to 30/6 even after tweaking a Draytek 130 modem.

Caporegime
Set up a BQM and ensure pings from the WAN are allowed on the Virgin router, then come back in a few days. I'm going to guess loads of red lines and a heavily congested area.
From what I've seen, most routers don't care if the destination IP address is an RFC1918 address or not, and will just shove it down the default route.

I don't think I've seen one that'll blackhole RFC1918 traffic without a specific policy or rule being put in place.
@doodah ICMP ping may be blocked depending on your router or the graph is pointing to the wrong IP.
Success, I restarted the SH3 and I can now access 192.168.100.1. No idea what I am doing though - the SH3 admin options are very limited due it being in modem mode. I have set my BQM IP to the one provided by 'what's my IP' website.

Do I need to do something in my WAN options in my Unifi controller perhaps?

Caporegime
That's the correct IP address to use. You should also find that your router (not the SH3) reports that same IP address as it's WAN interface.
Having a ganders at my WAN in Unifi. It's set to DHCP, my DNS using that 1.1.1.1 service - could that be it? As you can tell - networks aren't my thing.

Soldato
Having a ganders at my WAN in Unifi. It's set to DHCP, my DNS is set to 1.1.1.1 - could that be it? As you can tell - networks aren't my thing.

No, that's the DNS server you're using.

If you're using the classic settings in UniFi go to Devices, USG (assuming that's the device you have) and click the + next to WAN 1. For example:
gOy1DVm.png

If you're using the new settings then go to Settings -> Internet and it'll be displayed there.

rcmDn4K.png

Soldato
Just received an email from VM with some 'good news' they have been monitoring my WiFi usage and they have been able to upgrade my HH3 so I now have 'new and improved WiFi' and all for free! Woohoo....

But it's in modem mode, perhaps I can use these lies to get out of my contract :D

Associate
I've just received an email to say that the she has got the intellect wifi at no extra cost to me, I was disconnected a few days ago. Just goes to show that they don't know what they are doing.

Associate
Just received an email from VM with some 'good news' they have been monitoring my WiFi usage and they have been able to upgrade my HH3 so I now have 'new and improved WiFi' and all for free! Woohoo....

But it's in modem mode, perhaps I can use these lies to get out of my contract :D
Haha, yeah I just received the same email.

My hub is also in modem mode

Soldato
I'm intrigued now.

I have a 200mb connection with 3-4 people on it basically 18h/day and I think my area is mostly on phone lines not VM.

I've seen some drama about VM gear but I think it's less of an issue than other factors.

Will try graphing myself.

Ye idk about the VM gear issue, I think other factors have to kick in for it to really matter.

Soldato
Just got a nice £75 cheque in the post from Virgin, after settling a compliant about a promotional discount not being given after it being listed on my order. Good job I rechecked all my bills when I cancelled or I would have been out of pocket. :)

In other news, my sub £4 per month Unlimited Three SIM is now in a 5G router, and I'm getting over 400Mbps down and 60Mbps up with a 20ms ping on WiFi. :D

MdW4r42.jpg

Edit: Have been messing about and had over 700 Mbps down, will do some further testing when I don't need the internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom