Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
I've had two sales calls as I registered my interest for my house getting VM, they were extremely pushy and insisted on checking the post code for the new house when I told them it couldn't get VM services and I wasn't interested. They then tried to argue with me that VM was better than Openreach fibre.

Soldato
Yeah. I've never had a phone line with virgin.

I have taken out Sims with them in the past but currently just broadband only nothing else. i have no need for a phone line and the additional line rental costs.

Mobile phones have taken over. Phone lines should be done away with.
Unless your in your 70's (like my inlaws that live next door to us) old school, can't get rid of the landline :rolleyes:

I've not used a landline at home in 3 years, maybe once!

Associate
Moving hub, disconnecting hub from black cable from the street extending with white cable which vm supplied a couple of years back for self install, if I set this up and then need to call them out in the future, will anything be said ?
Thanks

Soldato
To help hit their targets on recycling of electronic waste is likely a part of the reason.

this is interesting, they sent me packaging to send it back in but they already collected it. odd thing is the packaging they sent came with a small plastic wrench and a cap thingy that goes over the threaded coax connection on the back of the sh3. if they were gonna bin it its odd they would send these extras to protect the coax port.

Soldato
Folks... this news today about gigabit rollout across the UK....
How will this work exactly? Is it a service which will be provided by BT? or another provide?
Surely this should help with prices/competition?

Caporegime
It can be fulfilled by any operator I believe, from the ISPreview article:

The new scheme, which in England will be centrally managed by BDUK (as opposed to being managed by local councils like SFBB), will once again require bidders to ensure that their networks are available for use by other ISPs via wholesale (open access). Various operators, both big and small (e.g. Openreach, Virgin Media, Cityfibre, Gigaclear, Cityfibre etc.), are expected to take part and areas with sub-30Mbps speeds will be prioritized (but NOT to the exclusion of all else).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...uk-gigabit-broadband-and-voucher-schemes.html

Soldato
Virgin set-up a separate company a while back geared towards open access on new build elements, I would imagine that any bidding will be via this and not Liberty’s main brand - they have long resisted the temptation to open the network up to third parts use. I don’t see that suddenly changing because funding is available to develop new network in other selected areas - one of the requirements from memory is it has to be accessible to 3rd parties, my mind can’t help but wonder how much effort it would take to provide a VM service over OR/alt-net FTTP with universal access agreements in place? Probably a lot less than over building, even with shared duct access now being a thing.

Back
Top Bottom