Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Is that for VM support just in case or?

Many routers won’t reply to ICMP (ping) on WAN as default and your options are either to allow it, or allow it for specific IP’s etc. It’s probably worth reading the FAQ on the BQM for the 2 mins it will take, it explains how to interpret data, but it’s generally obvious. For example you can see when my uplink gets saturated doing an off-site backup and the rest is just light background usage of the household streaming/gaming etc. and it peaks when everyone is at home later in the evening. Depending on how sticky your VM IP is a dynamic host may be better than using your WAN IP, my router just updates the provider on an IP change and BQM switches over.

Soldato
Many routers won’t reply to ICMP (ping) on WAN as default and your options are either to allow it, or allow it for specific IP’s etc. It’s probably worth reading the FAQ on the BQM for the 2 mins it will take, it explains how to interpret data, but it’s generally obvious. For example you can see when my uplink gets saturated doing an off-site backup and the rest is just light background usage of the household streaming/gaming etc. and it peaks when everyone is at home later in the evening. Depending on how sticky your VM IP is a dynamic host may be better than using your WAN IP, my router just updates the provider on an IP change and BQM switches over.
Great thanks!

Soldato
Anyone had any luck with retentions recently?

I'm on ultimate oomph, it's just gone up to 112 a month and they sent me a letter about discounts running out. Something like 130 a month from april and 145 a month from October.

Clearly not up for that when new customers get it for 89.

I called and couldn't get them under 111 on a new 18 month contract. Any ideas whether that's good? I am not that keen to leave them but a bit fed up of the costs going up and up.
As has been said you won't get a decent deal until you cancel.

I'm on the same package and got offered a similarly poor offer as you the first time I contacted retentions last month.
After putting in my cancellation I got a call back the next day offering me it for £79. It is even possible to get it for slightly less but you'll have to put in that cancellation and wait for the call back.

Caporegime
It will never happen, it will take more than £11 of effort to write the letter to their complaints team and then cash the cheque. If writing it off is an option then it's easier to do that.

Soldato
It will never happen, it will take more than £11 of effort to write the letter to their complaints team and then cash the cheque. If writing it off is an option then it's easier to do that.

Times how many customers?... I had similar with an energy company a year or so ago, though admittedly the amount was ten times this one. Several phone calls resulting in broken promises, over the course of four months. I just sent a letter before action with a pre-filled N1 county court claim form to their head office. I had a cheque two days later. :p

Soldato
Well it does say wait 45 days and i was disconnected on the 8th of march so probably wait till end of this month then ring them up. I need my 11 quid thats like 2 mcdonalds meals.
I bet if i owed them 11 they be getting ccjs etc on the case.

Back
Top Bottom