Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Yeah, just got that email. I suppose now is an appropriate time for those in the know to nominate suitable free alternatives, hint hint :)

You'll be lucky. XSNews used to do a capped free tier, something like 50KB/sec iirc. Virgin just provide OEM/rebranded access to Omicron (Highwinds/Newshosting), and if it's going away that's a shame when prices are on the up every few months. It was one of the few perks of a VM account. Best to just pay for a decent service. Something like Newsgroup.Ninja (that's their name and their url) is mega cheap, you can get it for something like $25-30 a year - check /r/usenet on Reddit for codes. It's just a subsidiary of Omicron, so the same backbone as VM's using with the same high completion and the biggest retention going. I pull about 2 TB a month off it at gigabit speeds no drama.

Soldato
Yeah, just got that email. I suppose now is an appropriate time for those in the know to nominate suitable free alternatives, hint hint :)

www.Fastusenet.org
Cheapest I have found at £3.30 a month, about 2000 days retention and full speed on my 580 meg connection..

Just checked, I am on a special deal of $5 per month, standard unlimited if $6.95..

Soldato
I've been using newshosting.com for a few years. $36/year, unlimited transfers, > 4000 days retentions and 30 connections. It can happily max out my 900Mbps FTTP connection.

The package I have was apparently a limited offer but it's still available here.

Associate
Hi guys, There is a few good Virgin mate rate deals on atm, especially with the ultimate oomph bundle and 500.mb broadband so if anyone needs a referral or more info feel free to trust me thanks.

Associate
Hi all, I am an existing VM broadband only customer. I have rcvd. an email offering m350 for £40/mo (18 month contract). I can see on the website that this is the same as the current new customer offer. Would there be any way of getting it for slightly less?

Soldato
Hi all, I am an existing VM broadband only customer. I have rcvd. an email offering m350 for £40/mo (18 month contract). I can see on the website that this is the same as the current new customer offer. Would there be any way of getting it for slightly less?
The usual way is to say you are switching. MSE's affiliate link gives new customers the m350 package for £32pm, 18 month contract so they should at least offer that.

Soldato
I've been out of contract for a while with VM on the 350 package and out of interest went on live chat to see if I could get Gig1 in my area. Turns out I can and they've upgraded me for free. Result! :)

Soldato
I have ordered VM350, choose self install cause I am a cheap ass. Previous tennant of this flat had VM at some point, this is what I have coming into my building atm. Do I just plug the router into the isolator box? Can I remove all the copper wiring?

o5U0hVYh.png.jpg

GVygjlE.jpg

Man of Honour
Yes the VM hub will just go into the coaxial connection on that metal isolation box. If you're not going to use their land line then you could remove that wiring if you wanted to but it sounds like its not your property so maybe best left alone?

Soldato
Yes the VM hub will just go into the coaxial connection on that metal isolation box. If you're not going to use their land line then you could remove that wiring if you wanted to but it sounds like its not your property so maybe best left alone?

VM will normally choose to provision new lines over VoIP where possible - the port is on the back of the SH3 they will issue.

Soldato
Need to help the inlaws with their package.

Currently they have one of the old TV Boxes (pre V6) with the "MIXIT" (?) package, anytime calls, and 100mbit internet. They're paying over £70 a month !

They only need weekend calls, could do with an internet speed bump, and would definitely benefit from a new tv box as this old one is painfully slow and Netflix is unusable.

Any ideas what sort of deals they are doing at the moment? I'm thinking:

- Replace the tv box FOC
- keep the same TV package
- Reduce phone line to the bottom offering
- Internet to 350Mbit

Realistically, this should be ~£50 a month... am I mad?

Associate
New customers only?
Hi yes the deals are for new customers only. What people usually do is sign up under a partners name or friends to get the deal.
How often do these deals come aroundas I've still got 2 months left with plusnet but I am definitely switching
Hi they do change monthly but currently there is a good deal on the ultimate oomph which is virgins top bundle.
I believe you can take the deal and delay installation but I think that would probably be around a month and not two. I can refer you then when you speak to them you can see if it can be done if you like.

Back
Top Bottom