1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, 7 Mar 2007.

1. spoffle

Capodecina

When I cancelled last year, they didn't call me back. They just let me go. I wasn't trying to call their bluff though, I actually wanted to leave. But they still didn't call.

2. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

If they don't call back he can always ring them before the end of the 30 days, and say "I've been shopping around with Sky/EE/whomever but I'd really prefer to stay with you if I can. What can you offer me?". Make sure it's through to 'Thinking of leaving us' (retentions) as they have more power than first line - but not as much as the people who ring you back (if they call).

3. beachBOYken

Capodecina

I had an outage for 5-10 minutes around 2.30pm yesterday, can't be coincidence every time I check out "is my service down" or "downdetector" when this happens there is huge spike of reports.

Wonder what keeps causing these short outages, mine was likely isolated to an area. But it seems like VM is unstable of late and certain areas network comes under strain at various times.

4. Marky

Capodecina

Tried to cancel through their text service, but no dice. Just got through to their call centre and cancelled - They offered me the exact same offers as before. She said to call back 2 weeks into my cancellation period and ask if there are any further discounts available, as she said it is likely they could offer something better...

We shall see... for the time being, I’m now on my 30 days cancellation period.

5. cyber69

Wise Guy

I’m on a 350MB connection and at best getting 40MB downloads on firefox browser and when using DAP download accelerator on chrome or IE at best it is doing 8MB downloading from usenet. I’ve checked the upstream and downstream settings on the router and on speedtest it reports over 370MB connection.

I think therefore that my connection to the websites and usenet is being throttled. I’m a bit of noob when it comes to VPN software but would it advisable to use one when downloading GB’s of data from a single source?

6. Avalon

Soldato

For starters you need to understand that 350Mbit/s is not the same as 350MB/s, allowing for overheads you’re looking at just over 40MB/s which is exactly what you say you get, so no, it really doesn’t appear VM are throttling your connection.

Usenet is a different beast. How are you connected to the router? Which usenet provider, how many connections, what’s the system spec including drives, are you pausing for post processing/repair, have you tried alternate ports (please tell me you’re using SSL), have you confirmed how fast your provider actually offers (some are fixed speed) and why in a world where ‘Get and SAB dominate the client usage are you not using them?

Last edited: 28 May 2020
  7. ecksmen

Wise Guy

I've notice Usenet being a lot slower recently; also on the 350Mbps package. Before COVID-19 (about 10 months worth of experience) usenet would always saturate my connection. Now it struggles past 10MB/sec (circa 85Mbps raw); number of connections, destination doesn't seem to alter this.

I wouldn't be suprised if VM are applying policies based on traffic; I'm 99% confident the issue is north of my modem.

8. fezster

Hitman

9. chroniclard

Capodecina

Cant say I have noticed any issues with Usenet.

[​IMG]

10. ecksmen

Wise Guy

Slightly jealous of that speed! Even though my 350Mbps package if running at full speed is sufficent, I always want more! Just had linux ISO download -

"Downloaded in 40 seconds at an average of 40.8 MB/s"

No changes my end, perhaps a local contention issue.

11. chroniclard

Capodecina

Dont need that speed to be honest, most of my downloads are when I sleep but its just nice to have and always want MORE! :p

12. FreeStream

Capodecina

Yes. Spent days messing about trying to find a solution.

No solution is available unless your in a SH4 area. Senior engineer said it’s the SH3 and he has solved it for others by using a 2/AC, a 4 or getting the customer to go to a business account and hence router.

Ive now signed up for FTTP as VM have agreed to terminate my contract early and I cannot wait to leave VM behind.

SH3 was a bodge from day 1, if FTTP had been available sooner I’d have jumped ship way before re-signing with VM.

13. SpudMaster

Mobster

Anyone else having having issues with their connection speed the last few days? Im on 350mb. Speedtest normally reports 386mb but last few days its only been between 10 and 35mb.
    Was justing trying to download on steam but it was only going at 2.5mb/s, I normally get 48mb/s.
    Virgin Media's service status doesn't report any connection issues in my area....

14. xb8browney

Soldato

Mines been great as always

15. e36Adz

Capodecina

So, they replied to my letter of complaint. Result!? Not quite. The reply was a generic letter not addressing anything I said, infact it lies about how they've been 'trying to contact me but been unsuccessful'. It then advises me to text a number and then someone will look into my complaint. I text the number and realise there are tons of prior messages back and forth already to this number, infact, it was because of how incompetent they were there and on the phone that forced me to write a letter in the first place!?! So, next step?

Oh and a few hours later someone replied to my message yet again, after giving all my details and him reading what little notes there are on their system, he says it's the wrong dept lol. I'm truly astounded by this company. This is on a whole new level for me.

16. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Nope, mines pretty happy as well :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 May 2020
  17. randal

Capodecina

Yep, they are on the whole useless if you need assistance. If everything works for you, and you're in an area that's not heavily contended then great. If you need something, or something needs fixing outside of the quick fix/router restart/engineer out to swap your tap in the green cab then forget it.

Plusnet goes in next week, and even though it's considerably slower I'm really looking forward to not giving Virgin Media any more money. Ever.

18. FreeStream

Capodecina

Same here.

Really hoping my FTTP is installed sooner than 2 months time..!

19. rickjames

Mobster

Mine down, SE24. Virgin status thing now says ETA fix of 1am. Oof.

20. Temi_D

Wise Guy

Question for you guys. Currently have FTTC with BT (68Mbps downloads). When I check the Virgin Media website for my address, apparently I can sign up for the 350Mbps package. How is it that they can offer approx 5x the speed of BT over what is essentially the same line?