Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I've recently upgraded to 1gig internet from virgin. After a few teething problems it eventually got set up and working.

It seems my router cant offer 1000mbps over a wired connection. I seem to cap out at about 760mpbs. It's an asus rt n66u.

Can anyone reccomend a new router? I use a ubiquiti mesh for wifi so only need the wired speed.

I got a new hub 4 with the install but this only seems to offer 400ish mbps over a wired connection

Soldato
There's something else at play if you can't achieve the full speed over wired on both of those devices. They both have Gigabit ethernet ports.

Not all routers can hit line speed so it's not all that uncommon that a router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports can't route the full 1Gbps.

That said, the Virgin Hub 4 should be able to. It'd be extremely odd for an ISP to supply a CPE that can't route the speed of the product they're selling over ethernet.

Soldato
I've recently upgraded to 1gig internet from virgin. After a few teething problems it eventually got set up and working.

It seems my router cant offer 1000mbps over a wired connection. I seem to cap out at about 760mpbs. It's an asus rt n66u.

Can anyone reccomend a new router? I use a ubiquiti mesh for wifi so only need the wired speed.

I got a new hub 4 with the install but this only seems to offer 400ish mbps over a wired connection

Hub 4 should be able to do that speed. That's why they send it out on that tier. It would be impossible for your N66U to do 760 mbs if the SH4 can only do 400 mbs.

There's something else going on, probably how you're testing or the application you are seeing low speeds on. The N66U is quite an old router and probably is topping out at 760, but the SH4 can do more.

Caporegime
Not all routers can hit line speed so it's not all that uncommon that a router with gigabit WAN and LAN ports can't route the full 1Gbps.

That said, the Virgin Hub 4 should be able to. It'd be extremely odd for an ISP to supply a CPE that can't route the speed of the product they're selling over ethernet.

Agreed, looking at the n66u it's fairly old so I could see that potentially struggling, however, he's achieving higher wired speeds on that than the Virgin Hub 4 :confused:

Soldato
What does the Hub 4 show as the speed to the hub?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

having ran this a few times through the asus router

1069mbps to the hub
932mbps to computer

speedtest.net 870 mbps

first time its broke 760mbps on this, maybe i connected to a different server.

using the virgin hub 4 i get 900 average to the computer

i guess if i want the full speed i need to switch to wifi?

Last edited:
Soldato

Whats the upload speed on 1gbit virgin?

Associate
Does anyone know there is any fault with the super hub 3 on the 350mb package? I've had perfect stable broadband with the 100mb package. I upgraded to the 350mb package for the extra upload speeds for my security cameras but since i've moved that package my broadband has been really intermittent. Not ideal for security or working from home.

Can the superhub 3 cope with the 350mb or do i need to put it into modem mode to help 'easy the load'?

(Im also trying to contacting Virgin but their contact page doesnt work ^^ )

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
These guys make me laugh. They agreed with me to freeze the price for the next 12 months, then when I get the email confirmation of the deal the price goes up. I call to speak to them about it, they say in the notes it says I agreed to that price. I said you can go listen to the call if you want as I did not. He then says yeah but the notes say... I said ok, then go ahead and cancel it then, so he does.

Why do they mess about with customers like this?

Permabanned
Does anyone know there is any fault with the super hub 3 on the 350mb package? I've had perfect stable broadband with the 100mb package. I upgraded to the 350mb package for the extra upload speeds for my security cameras but since i've moved that package my broadband has been really intermittent. Not ideal for security or working from home.

Can the superhub 3 cope with the 350mb or do i need to put it into modem mode to help 'easy the load'?

(Im also trying to contacting Virgin but their contact page doesnt work ^^ )

Should be fine, my SH3 copes fine with 500mb. How long have you had it? Have you rebooted it?

(Though mine IS in modem mode with my own wifi router).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For many of their customers, Virgin are the only choice for decent speeds. Their 1st line customer service is shocking by all accounts and you can only really get stuff done if you're escalated to the retentions department.
Yeah. Lets see if I get a call back from their retentions team, in the meantime I will shop around.

Back
Top Bottom