Virgin Media Discussion Thread

They did implement a firmware fix, so if you mention Puma 6 on their forums they'll get all uppity about it.

However, the connection quality is still abysmal (for me, and countless scores of others at least). Seems worse if you're running PFsense for some reason, apparently 2.5 is better than 2.45 but still in dev at the moment. Think they squashed a bug in BSD 12 that fixed the issue.

What's interesting is that the issue start of PFsense users on 2.4.5 in April, yonks after the Puma "fix". So they've introduced a bug somewhere, not that you can get through to anyone in Virgin Media to even look at it let alone suggest a fix.

On the upside, Plusnet got installed yesterday. :)

Soldato
blasted speed issues on VM but.a strange one

iphone connected direct to wifi 380Meg/second. laptop connected via wifi 115meg sec. lan cable direct into router 45 meg a second

anyone have any thoughts beyond the vm tech who wants to post me yet another SH 3.0 ???

Soldato
They did implement a firmware fix, so if you mention Puma 6 on their forums they'll get all uppity about it.

However, the connection quality is still abysmal (for me, and countless scores of others at least). Seems worse if you're running PFsense for some reason, apparently 2.5 is better than 2.45 but still in dev at the moment. Think they squashed a bug in BSD 12 that fixed the issue.

What's interesting is that the issue start of PFsense users on 2.4.5 in April, yonks after the Puma "fix". So they've introduced a bug somewhere, not that you can get through to anyone in Virgin Media to even look at it let alone suggest a fix.

On the upside, Plusnet got installed yesterday. :)

In fairness, if it works with the supplied hardware, then it’s unreasonable to expect any ISP to support third party networking kit, that’s the role you accept when you choose to install your own kit. If you’re expecting PlusNET to be different in that respect, then you are likely going to be disappointed.

Associate
Opnsense does not have the issue. 3 days straight, not a single spike or packet loss.

Pfsense 2.4.5 running with smp disabled is apparently a workaround, with 2.4.5-p1 permanently fixing, but is yet to be released. However, I'm finding I'm still occasionally seeing the issue. Still undergoing testing.

My setup is virtualised on esxi btw.

Soldato
Opnsense does not have the issue. 3 days straight, not a single spike or packet loss.

Pfsense 2.4.5 running with smp disabled is apparently a workaround, with 2.4.5-p1 permanently fixing, but is yet to be released. However, I'm finding I'm still occasionally seeing the issue. Still undergoing testing.

My setup is virtualised on esxi btw.

Don’t go introducing common sense and logic to this situation, he’s already had PlusNET installed because clearly it’s VM’s fault that pfsense has issues. Didn’t you know that once you run pfsense you go full Neo, glow green and can bend reality to tell faults where they can exist?

Soldato
Would be nice to have the option to lock out ports or devices based on time of day for the
Kids for wired and wireless devices and the stock router is shocking for speeds

Speed above all else followed by time based
Lockouts

Don’t go introducing common sense and logic to this situation, he’s already had PlusNET installed because clearly it’s VM’s fault that pfsense has issues. Didn’t you know that once you run pfsense you go full Neo, glow green and can bend reality to tell faults where they can exist?

It's more than just this issue that drove me to getting asa connection put in.

We've had multiple engineer visits due to power issues on the line requiring recabling, we live in a highly contended area and packet loss/latency has always been a problem for us here. Then there's the periodic price hikes, customer service and so on.

PFsense being a pain is a minor issue compared to the months of grief we've had with VM on other fronts.

Soldato
VM having issues again here. Internet has been down for some time now. No updates on the service status page but down detector website seems to be getting a good few reports all over.

Is there any issues your area?

I know it's now 24 hrs later but quite a few at my company (all on VM) have been having intermittent VPN dropouts for most of the morning - other internet seems to work fine, IT haven't been able to find anything their side.

anyway:

My contract (and discount) is up in 6 weeks, so starting to shop around now - currently paying £34/mo for 200Mbps (various speed tests seem to indicate it's more like 100 at best, but Steam reckons I've hit 26.5MB/s which seems about right), but it will be going up to £64 :)eek:) next month.

Unfortunately I can't get any of the FTTP services yet, so is VM the best I'm going to get at the moment or is it worth jumping back to an Openreach provider?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@Spacedeck set yourself a BB monitor up on think broadband. A few of us posted examples a while back when our connections went a bit weird. My connection (London) seems to have been fine since the major outage (famous last words).

(this is yesterday, can't say I noticed a drop out at 5pm but it did slow down a bit).

It's also useful for the future, so when you do have outages you have records of times etc. It's been invaluable for me.

Back
Top Bottom