Virgin Media

Soldato
Have had cable services ever since the very first regional services were first set up, and Virgin Media seem to be the most reliable owners of the broadband service.

Nynex (tv, phone) - Cable & Wireless (tv, phone, 56Kb dialup) ntl: (1Mb, 10Mb) - Virgin Media (10Mb, 20Mb, 50Mb).

Man of Honour
anyone like or dislike them, whats your views on this

Sky is no better. Sky has messed me around so much, virgin I never had a problem with, although mates have.
neither are better or worse than the other. So no point in changing supplier for that reason.

Associate
I had a lot of problems with them charging me for things I had never asked for and were'nt part of my package. One month they randomly started charging me for 'baby tv', so I called and asked for it to be refunded, the next month they charged me for it twice, so i called back and asked what the hell was going on. they then said they would refund everything and make sure it was removed, the next month it was still on there - this went on for about 4-5 months.
My parents have been with them for years and haven't really had any problem, except for engineer installing a new modem wrong and the speed being capped at about 200kb. The speed throttling gets annoying as well, a 1500MB cap on a 10Mb connection is ridiculous. They sell a service as being 'up to 10Mb' when in reality you can use it at the rated speed for about 25mins before it is capped to 2Mb for 5 hours.

Soldato
The speed throttling gets annoying as well, a 1500MB cap on a 10Mb connection is ridiculous. They sell a service as being 'up to 10Mb' when in reality you can use it at the rated speed for about 25mins before it is capped to 2Mb for 5 hours.

LOL @ this reply. You really do not understand why and how this policy works.
There are only certain times during the day you will be capped, work it out and use to your advantage.

Associate
LOL @ this reply. You really do not understand why and how this policy works.
There are only certain times during the day you will be capped, work it out and use to your advantage.

I understand quite well how and why it works, what hours it applies between and the levels to which your connection is capped and for how long. It still happens to annoy me to some extent as it affects my ability to access paid-for-content like movies that I like to rent and watch during my days off. Lets face it, they wouldn't need to use this level of speed capping if it wasn't for the number of people using their connections to download torrents/copyright content 24/7. If the policy didn't affect paid for content like Steam/D2D/sky player/other movie streaming sites as badly then it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Associate
Ok i'm on them but i'm getting this problem..

Basically my laptop disconnects and re-connects all the time. it happens in like seconds.

Anyone have or know how to fix this problem?

apart from that yeah i like them..

Soldato
To those who have poor speeds/connection/whatever else - do you live in densely packed residential areas or out in the sticks?

I do wonder what contention ratios are like.

Have had no real problems with them, although am very used to rebooting modem & router now and again after the connection throwing a wobbly.

We've gone with them again at my new place, as their broadband-only service is the cheapest way to get interwubs as we have/need no landline.

Soldato
I have had nothing but trouble with virgin broadband, The TV and phone are faultless but the net is horrendous, we have had engineers out time and time again, the connection is dropping packets left, right and centre, some nights it is unusable.

Even virgin themselves have no idea what it is that is causing it, they have blamed everything from firewalls/anti virus software, to kinks in the white cable in the house, then they said it was the router, they basically blame everything but themselves

Soldato
I've always used VM for broadband and Sky for tv.
I've not had much trouble with either, although it does bug me that my 10mb connection drops to 1-2mb most nights. I complained about it and they said "oh, you are being trafiic shaped....but you shouldn't be". Next day my speeds were back up to 10mb. But i've a feeling i'm being throttled again. I hardly ever download.
They should be throttling the major bandwidth monkeys not everyone.

Back
Top Bottom