1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by cheechm, 7 Jun 2010.

1. cheechm

Wise Guy

Wondering if anyone knew either how much it cost, or the ways this could be done. Looking at getting Virgin Media 50meg, however my house is down a 50metre driveway (from the street). I know that VM offer the service on my road so it is a matter of asking them to install it in my house. What is the best way about doing this? Will they charge me an extortinate amount to do the extra 50m? Is there a way I can do some of it myself to make it cheaper?

Cheers

2. Dist

Soldato

Do you not have a cable connection to your house already if there is cable in the area? I thought areas that have cable have it built into all houses in the area rather than selective ones.

3. cheechm

Wise Guy

I have BT access already. Is VM FTTH or FTTC?

4. asim18

Capodecina

Pretty sure it's FTTC.

5. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Ring them up, do not mention about the distance? Are the rest of the houses in the street the same?

6. J.B

Soldato

Of they say its supplied in the road they probably will do your house, just means they'll have to run a long run of coax down the drive to the house.

7. cheechm

Wise Guy

Nope, but I'm not sure how from the online checker they know that my house is a bit from the road, even though my address is on the road.

8. mp260767

Capodecina

if your address is listed on the online checker your ok, i'm looking at a property that has every other house around it listed with the exception of the one i'm looking at and there working on getting it cabled up.

just need to place an order with them and they should take care of the rest.

9. Banzai_Joe

Soldato

I've had VM installed in 2 house that i lived in. If there is a cab presence on your street, then they will just dig and cable up to your house, possibly charging installation fee.

10. arknor

Caporegime

which can cause huge problems for the signal levels bet your engineer will have a headache!

11. izzy eckerslike

Wise Guy

If the cable runs down under the footpath in your road if it's it's an oldish area then you might have a problem depending on what the access road to your property is made of, they won't disturb concrete, tarmac, or block paving. worst problem is that they use contractors who don't give a toss & look for the easy way out.

My new cable was draped down the garden between the bushes in a flourescent plastic tube which crossed a pathway. :confused:

needless to say I got it sorted & a manager came to look & was flabberghasted & had it rerouted & properly buried

12. cheechm

Wise Guy

According to the spotter, they only run new installations a maximum of 10 metres. The guy wondered if I already had it installed originally about 15 years ago, but it wasn't because my house used to be a block of flats.

tl;dr = Can't be done.