Virgin Media

Associate
just had this pop on on job alert:

Field Sales Advisor - "Calling all Women" - Gateshead

Region: Tyne and Wear
Division: Consumer
Salary / Benefits: £38,000 OTE (£18,000 + uncapped commission) plus company car, first year earning circa. £45,000
Ref #:194
Field Sales Advisors – “Calling All Women”
£38,000 (£18k basic + uncapped commission) plus company car

this is honestly not a troll thread - I just didn't think any employer was allowed to call for a specific sex for a job.

Associate
I don't think they are allowed guess i was wrong. I was browsing jobs for my brother not long back.
One made me laugh as instead of asking for eastern europeans only. It specified must be able to speak such and such languages. All for min wage. Or some that were for "local" people only as must come from that area due to time keeping performance. Hmmmm.

Soldato
this is honestly not a troll thread - I just didn't think any employer was allowed to call for a specific sex for a job.

Businesses can if the gender requirement is proportional and meets a specific business requirement. Whether that applies to this job is something else though!

Associate
On an average day you’ll be knocking on around 150-200 doors - **** THAT!

Exactly what they don't want you to know if you start on basic min wage and must gather business for them. My sister worked for a company selling wine. She had to gather 140-180k worth of business before she would even be thought about for an increase in wage :D She did great there at trade shows etc meeting and greeting and such but they treated her like utter crap even though she was the top revenue earner within her team. Sales jobs are the worst i pit anyone working in that sector.

Soldato
Exactly what they don't want you to know if you start on basic min wage and must gather business for them. My sister worked for a company selling wine. She had to gather 140-180k worth of business before she would even be thought about for an increase in wage :D She did great there at trade shows etc meeting and greeting and such but they treated her like utter crap even though she was the top revenue earner within her team. Sales jobs are the worst i pit anyone working in that sector.

Well it's on the job listing: https://www.simplysalesjobs.co.uk/job/calling-all-women-field-sales-advisor-13/10665855

:D

Soldato

Did she get any gucci belts being the top earner

Associate
Soldato
To be clear, we welcome applications from everyone, not just females. Click apply if you’re interested, we’d love to hear from you!

Gutted to about being beaten re asking about Gucci belts.

Circa 38k looks a bit optimistic for door to door cold calling selling cable services.

Caporegime
It doesn't say that only women can apply. They'll probably accept any application.

They have targets for 50/50 representation it says so in the article, therefore they are openly admitting to sexual discrimination.

Meanwhile, places like China and Japan and pretty much the rest of the world still have policy of best person for the job regardless of what genetalia they have and therefore the future is bleak for British business. Once they have 50/50 representation based on sex it'll be positive discrimination for stupid people because they are just prejudiced against and all people are equal, looking at exam results is discrimination. Everybody should get a degree just for taking part, there are no winners and losers it's a social construct bla bla.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Businesses can if the gender requirement is proportional and meets a specific business requirement. Whether that applies to this job is something else though!

yes that makes sense

It doesn't say that only women can apply. They'll probably accept any application.

that's true.

I was quite surprised that gender was mentioned - specially from such a big company like Virgin.

maybe it's a new thing - Virgin Women :D
trouble is - one ***** will burst it :D

(sorry old gawd awful joke)

Associate
When I lived in Leicester several years ago, I kid you not the local tesco put out adverts for Asian only store assistants. I really didn't think they could do that!

Caporegime

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to do that ditto to this:

When I lived in Leicester several years ago, I kid you not the local tesco put out adverts for Asian only store assistants. I really didn't think they could do that!

I think the exception might be when there is a training scheme rather than a job - like the BBC trying to target underrepresented groups etc...

Associate
yes that makes sense

that's true.

I was quite surprised that gender was mentioned - specially from such a big company like Virgin.

maybe it's a new thing - Virgin Women :D
trouble is - one ***** will burst it :D

(sorry old gawd awful joke)

A virgin woman in Gateshead? Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom