Virgin+ optical audio out into creative gigaworks s750

Associate
I Have a set of creative gigaworks s750 7.1 speakers for my htpc which don't have a digital audio input, just the 4 3.5mm jacks

I've just got a virgin plus box which I want to connect to the speakers properly, ideally without the PC having to be on all the time but I think the only way i can do it is to get a better sound card with optical in to connect it to the pc and play it through there.

Is there a fancy device in existance that can convert the audio output from the V+ box to the 3 audio jacks for the speakers without the pc being on?

If not, i was looking at getting a creative x-fi card, I'm told that the £30 odd one doesnt actually have the new processor, so does the x-fi titanium have this to take sound processing away from the CPU.

If i went with the sound card upgrade, had the V+ box connected to the tv with the hdmi for video, and then to the sound card via optical in, should it all work ok and in 5.1/7.1 sound (where programs use it)?

Cheers

Dave

Soldato
Is there a fancy device in existance that can convert the audio output from the V+ box to the 3 audio jacks for the speakers without the pc being on?
It's called a av processor preamp. And are very expensive.

If i went with the sound card upgrade, had the V+ box connected to the tv with the hdmi for video, and then to the sound card via optical in, should it all work ok and in 5.1/7.1 sound (where programs use it)?

Cheers

Dave

Probably.

But really, what you want is a AV receiver. It has a processor preamp built in, and has the power amp section as well. It will take your optical in and amplify it out to your speakers. If you get one with discrete analogue pre ins you'll be able to hook up you PC the same way you have you creative things hooked up.

The trouble is, if you go the route you are thinking of, and later decide to add something else (dvd/bluray player, cd player, mp3 player, games console, TV output etc etc) , it all becomes terribly complicated and piecemeal, you need the PC on all the time, when you PC goes **** up you have no sound etc etc.

So get a proper av receiver. It's what they are designed to do. Not sure how your speaker urrently connect, but if they are bare wire you can even use you speakers on the new system if you can't afford more speakers.

Something suitable new can be had for £120 or so, second hand, well less than £100.

Back
Top Bottom