Virgin or British Airways?

Soldato
Virgin all the time when going trans-atlantic.

Never under any ircumstances fly with Continental though:

Me: "I'd like a glass of wine and a bloody mary please"

Them: "Certainly sir, that will be $15"

Me: "****** **** ***************************!"

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla said:
Virgin all the time when going trans-atlantic.

Never under any ircumstances fly with Continental though:

Me: "I'd like a glass of wine and a bloody mary please"

Them: "Certainly sir, that will be $15"

Me: "****** **** ***************************!"

Agreed, Continental were awful, but not as bad as Delta. They even charged to rent headphones to watch the movie (No seat back TV's). They will be charging to use the bloody lav next.

In my experience, Virgin are very good across the Atlantic, BA are OK and American Airlines are poor.

Associate
JudgeC said:
American Airlines are poor.

I've flown AA a few times and really didn't find them too bad, apart from the alcohol prices (I don't usually drink, but a scotch helps me to settle on a flight :o ).

Air Canada were truly and honestly appalling. The staff were aggressive, rude and exceptionally unhelpful, the plane was filthy, and I even had to give water to an upset old man myself because the attendants ignored him and told him to be quiet. :mad:

Caporegime
daveyj27 said:
I've flown AA a few times and really didn't find them too bad, apart from the alcohol prices (I don't usually drink, but a scotch helps me to settle on a flight :o ).

Air Canada were truly and honestly appalling. The staff were aggressive, rude and exceptionally unhelpful, the plane was filthy, and I even had to give water to an upset old man myself because the attendants ignored him and told him to be quiet. :mad:

Sorry i dont believe that for one second, yes Air Canada isnt the best out there. But for them to turn around and say that to a passenger is frankly unbelievable...at least if you exaggerate about things then do it so we can somewhat believe you;).

Saying that though if it was true then why didnt you make a complaint, i would have straight away. They usually have someone in charge and if not then id be straight onto them once i had landed. Thats a sackable offence from what my cousin has told me about air attendants...she flys with Emirates.

Anyways never had any real problems with Air Canada, i use them for my internal flights within Canada when im there on business.

Associate
Spawn said:
Sorry i dont believe that for one second, yes Air Canada isnt the best out there. But for them to turn around and say that to a passenger is frankly unbelievable...at least if you exaggerate about things then do it so we can somewhat believe you;).

Believe what you want, I exaggerated nothing. It's an experience that made me vow that not a single pound of my money will ever grace Air Canadas coffers again, ever.

Saying that though if it was true then why didnt you make a complaint, i would have straight away.

Where did I say that I never made a complaint?

Man of Honour
daveyj27 said:
Believe what you want, I exaggerated nothing. It's an experience that made me vow that not a single pound of my money will ever grace Air Canadas coffers again, ever.
Sounds like an unfortunate air stewardess then....don't write off a whole company because of one/a few people. Especially as they're pretty cheap :p

I've flown AC and, while not as fancy as Virgin et al, they get the job done and the cabin crew are certainly decent :)

Edit: And yeah, I've met odd air stewardesses on AA and Virgin and a few more but hey, some people are just moody I suppose.

Man of Honour
For crossing the Atlantic I'd go with Virgin at a drop of a hat. Much more modern and fun airline. The staff are less crusty and old fashioned, plus some of the air stewardesses are much better eye candy ;) The in flight entertaiment is far superior, and in general the food is superior. I also think the prices tend to be better.

But why oh why are you going to Orlando?! :p

I flew BA to the States a couple of times - never again. I flew BA to Sydney - that was actually not TOO bad - but it was about 10 years ago. I then flew Quantas to Sydney and it really was chalk and cheese - i.e. much better.

I hate flying though - not because I'm scared of it though... i just *hate* it.

Caporegime
daveyj27 said:

Where did I say that I never made a complaint?

LOL well judging from your post it seemed like you just let it ride, anyways if u did complain then good on you:).

I never fly AC transatlantic anyways, i purely use them for internal flights within Canada myself and they seem to do the job just right for me. Plus i dont like the planes they fly on their transatlantic flights, give me a boeing 777 or 747 anyday over a crappy airbus:p

Associate
My flight in a BA 777 to Colorado was fantastic. My only real flight that I remember however. The drinks were free and the food was great and we had about 20 channels to choose from - including BBC News 24. The staff were helpful.

I have never flew Virgin.

Associate
Spawn said:
LOL well judging from your post it seemed like you just let it ride,

I didn't think that I had to list out the whole incident from start to finish in a step-by-step fashion. I was just relating an experience that was bad enough, in my opinion, to completely put me off a company for good. :)

Associate
Beansprout said:
Sounds like an unfortunate air stewardess then....don't write off a whole company because of one/a few people. Especially as they're pretty cheap :p

The incident with the old man involved a pair of attendants, otherwise I would have wrote it off as a case of someone with a touch of the grumps. In all honesty though, it wasn't just those two that put me off. It really was a bad experience from start to finish, and I won't risk it again.

They are cheap, that's why I chose them for that particular trip, but I won't be using them again i'm sorry to say.

Associate
OP
Are the Virgin seats actually bigger compared to BA?
Im looking at about a £70 pound increase over BA to go for Virgin, is it worth it?

Back
Top Bottom