Virgin ping fluctuations

Soldato
Been having huge ping spikes from me VM broadband the last few days, to the point where online gaming is impossible. Seeing the usual 40 average becoming 2-300 average over a 10 ping test. I've tried this across various servers/IP's so not limited to one game's servers or anything like that.

Folk from Virgin on the phone haven't a clue what I'm talking about and say there isn't a problem because when I run the 'speed test' that they have me do, the single iteration of the ping testing shows a low number.

I have also set the superhub to modem mode and used a wired connection, but problem persists. Networking really isn't my good area. Is there anything I could try to improve things at my end, or is this defo a Virgin issue?

Associate
I've had the same in BFV which is the only one I really play, latency jumping from 30ish upto 115ish along with packet loss symbol turning orange. It's like walking through treacle compared to the others, have seen others with high latency as well. Tried speed tests while playing and they showed low speed on download and high pings, ethernet was spiking all over the graph. Also tried the virgin test several times and that only said once that there was a problem. Only had one day in the last week or so when I had no trouble so I don't know whether it is my setup, virgin or BFV servers.

Permabanned
You are better off posting on the community forums with the information from your router page, the one that shows power levels etc.

I have had from them in the past and they often have a better technical knowledge than the randoms in the call centres.

Soldato
OP
Seems to be an over-utilisation issue after setting up a BQM. Massive ping spikes and packet loss between 8am-8pm, then it's all fine through the night. They aren't going to be interested in fixing it - will just say ''oooh it's covid's fault''. Meanwhile loads of us are trapped indoors with all the time in the world to game, yet can't even get onto a server. Typical.

image uploader

Last edited:
Associate
That does look nasty for sure, are you running any other downloads on that connection during that time? As others have said, it's definitely worth a post on the VM community forums.

For reference, here's my connection in a densely populated East London area with two people WFH :

Caporegime
That's classic VM over-utilisation, the only thing you can achieve by posting on the VM forums about it is to get a fault reference and a made-up date for it to be fixed, which will arrive and then be pushed back another three months.

They know when their network is running hot, they don't need to be told about it. The best you can hope for is to be released from your contract, but that will take a complaint letter and then a referral to their ADR scheme.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I have a post up, but so far unanswered. The forum is bursting at the seams with similar issues. Seems to just be a lottery based on your location. Funny how these issues always seem to occur right after you sign a new contract with them.

Soldato
OP
That's classic VM over-utilisation, the only thing you can achieve by posting on the VM forums about it is to get a fault reference and a made-up date for it to be fixed, which will arrive and then be pushed back another three months.

They know when their network is running hot, they don't need to be told about it. The best you can hope for is to be released from your contract, but that will take a complaint letter and then a referral to their ADR scheme.

Seems to be the case, unfortunately. Just frustrating as the problem has only started recently, has been fine for years prior.

Caporegime
Don't you have loads of options in Edinburgh? Pretty sure that's a fibre first Openreach city, and CityFibre are there as well.

Back
Top Bottom