Virgin SH3 - Unifi AP only, or modem mode+router+AP ?

Associate
Hi All

About to move over the Virgin 350mb next week.

I have been reading up on the Unifi AP's, and they seem the best for performance, and I think I will need some sort of access point as it is a large house, with lots of blackspots.

My question is, would I be better off putting the SH3 into modem mode, buying a seperate router, say an Edgerouter X, and a switch, and then connect the access point to this ? Or can I just rely on connecting the Unifi AP to the SH3, and let the SH3 assign IP's etc ?

Any advice gratefully appreciated

R

Mehul

Soldato
No point buying a new router unless you need to.

Try the SH3 with its wireless switched off first and then decide.

In fact try the SH3 on it's own before you buy anything.

Soldato
In fact try the SH3 on it's own before you buy anything.

This. I have a Unifi UAC AP Pro and actually find the SH3's wifi marginally better. I haven't gone to any pains to place the AP particularly usefully though, which is one of its primary advantages (eg ceiling mounted to cover weak/dead spots). The reason I actually have one is because we rely predominantly on wired connections and the SH3's routing power isn't great. I wanted a stand alone edge router and firewall, so I made a SFF x86 box (G4560 2c4t, 4GB DDR4) and coded a Linux install to be a router and firewall to handle everything. The AP allows us to still connect mobiles and iPads etc, with a separate captive portal on a guest network vlan for visitors.

Back
Top Bottom